Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Nosler Custom Brass.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

Nosler Custom Brass.

I just found out why my handloads in this brass 'blew' primers and had ejector marks etc,with 'mid' loads that I had used previously,and yes I did work back up from start loads!
Apparently you have to use the Nosler start loads,because this brass has less capacity than other brass!

Anyone else found this? I thought it was because the brass was 'soft'.
MagnumManiac
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Nosler brass is not all made by one company so it isn't possible to make a blanket statement about the Nosler brass.
I haven't yet noticed the reduced capacity or softness with the Nosler brass that I have used.

James
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

I have used Nosler Custom brass to load 22-250 and 280 Rem loads. I found that the 280 brass had less volume than either the Norma or Remington brass that I had been using. Yes, you need to start low and work up when using this brass. As far as the 22-250 brass I have not been able to detect any volume difference between it and the Remington brass that I had been using.

I like the Nosler brass because it is very uniform. I also have not shot it enough to conclude that is softer than Remington brass. I know that the Norma brass in 280 Rem is softer than Remington brass in 280. It seem that when you are comparing brass that each caliber must be taken as different. I have found that Norma brass in 270 WSM and 300 WSM is heavier and has less volume than either Winchester or Remington in these calibers. It is also much tougher and will last longer in the two shortmag calibers. It 280 Rem it is softer and has greater volume than either Remington or Nosler.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

Anytime you change brass you should work your load up again. I have tested the volume of nosler brass against remington and it's a little less. I would be deeply concerned if your blowing primers.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Bronze Member

I have “heard” (I don’t know this as fact but it did come from a reputable source) that nosler brass is in fact Norma brass that nosler has bought, sorted by weight, trimmed, deburred, ect. (Basically prepped for you) I have herd it is great brass and it is easy to work with because it is really soft. I just bought some lapua brass for my 243 and I dropped my charges a grain lower than what I was shooting out of the federal brass, and am going to work it back up, but have not had a chance to shoot any yet, so we will see what happens. My loads where not hot before so hopefully they will be ok
Old 03-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

I noticed that in 308 nosler brass is really heavy compared to win and rem. I'm guessing I'll have to reduce loads about 2-3 grains. I've read reports that it is kind of the same story with 300 rum and 300 wby brass. I have used it in 300 win mag and have not seen a big difference between nosler and and rem/win. I guess the bottom line is.... be aware that things can be different with the nosler brass.
JUst curious what the start load/vel was and when it was you started popping primers??
Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraky1 View Post
I noticed that in 308 nosler brass is really heavy compared to win and rem. I'm guessing I'll have to reduce loads about 2-3 grains. I've read reports that it is kind of the same story with 300 rum and 300 wby brass. I have used it in 300 win mag and have not seen a big difference between nosler and and rem/win. I guess the bottom line is.... be aware that things can be different with the nosler brass.
JUst curious what the start load/vel was and when it was you started popping primers??
The listed max load is 77gr of RE22 for 180's in 300WinMag.
I started with 5% less,which is 73gr,and blew a primer at 75gr,the previous load of 74gr showed no signs of excessive pressure.I didn't get a velocity reading with these loads.I also have a 'recoil pressure guage',but that wasn't fitted either.(I know,I know,I know!):eek:
I have to say that this is a NEW rifle,Kimber 8400 Classic Select Grade,which apparently has a tight chamber also.There is minimum deflection in the brass,and the shoulder has only moved .002" from unfired brass.
I haven't had any problems with either Remington or Winchester brass in this rifle,that's why I'm suspecting that the Nosler brass is the culprit.
Where I read about the Nosler brass requiring that you have to use the Nosler start loads was in Petersons Rifle Shooter.
MagnumManiac