Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Nosler 300 Win Mag brass, very unimpressed!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Nosler 300 Win Mag brass, very unimpressed!!!!!

I was working on a customers rifle that was having some issues chambering some new Nosler 300 Win Mag brass. Got to checking the dimensions on the cases he sent me with the rifle.

Of the 4 cases he sent me, the headspace on the cases varied by 10 thou!!!!!

Even worse, I got to checking the neck thickness on the Nosler cases, again, just four cases to check out. One case had neck thicknesses withing 1 thou all around the neck, certainly not great but acceptable from factory brass.

The next best had 4 thou variation on the neck thickness, the next, 6 thou and the worst, 7 thou variation. Now understand, this is not from one case to another, its the neck thickness from one side of the case neck to the other!!!!!

I do not believe I have ever seen brass this poor in quality from a major brass maker.

For all the touting that Nosler does about their brass and say thats why it costs more then the other commercial brass available, its true quality is horrible.

They tell you its ready to load out of the box, I am sure not that they say that to try to keep the handloaders from checking out the specs for themselves because they are simply horrible.

This may be an isolated batch of brass but they are BAD, not worth much other then paper weights in my opinion, certainly not good for anything resembling long range hunting precision.

Its pretty sad to be honest, I think alot of handloaders have been taken a time or two by bad brass, I just hope for Noslers sake, this is an isolated occurance but I suspect its not.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler 300 Win Mag brass, very unimpressed!!!!!

Do you mind if I copy/paste this over on the Nosler forum??

I'll keep your name out of it.

It would be good for them to know about it though IMO.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sure, you can paste it where ever you want. If you want to include my name thats fine also, I have the cases sitting right here if they need proof. I am in no way trying to spread bad press about Nosler. I use a ton of their bullets, Probably as much as any other commerical bullet company other then maybe Sierra.

In comparision, I also had four Winchester cases which were dang near as consistant at Lapua brass for that matter. Why spend the big bucks on Nosler brass when you can get more consistant Win cases that will last longer anyway?.............

Not trying to pick a fight with Nosler, just reporting the facts so my fellow shooters do not get taken..

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the heads up and saving us some money. I guess I can quit waiting for the 338 RUM brass to come out.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Not trying to pick a fight with Nosler, just reporting the facts so my fellow shooters do not get taken..
Yer
Heavens forbid that someone speaks out about this.I have been taken for a ride twice (iam a slow learner) so they will never see my money again.

The first lot i bought was 243win (ready to load what a crook) they had the hardest primer pockets of any cases i have ever seen.So i struggled and got them done.Loaded them up for fireforming (i use a medium load)38grs of BM2 behind a 65gr Vmax.

Out of fifty i had 8 necks split.Now in comparsion my standard load with either Rem or lapua is 41 or 41.5 of BM2 behind the same bullet.

They will never see my money again.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

I started using Nosler brass when I got my 280AI a couple of years ago. That brass was excellent, very very consistant neck thickness at .014" which I turned down to .013" for a .313" neck.

I then got some 22-250 brass which was also good but I do not turn for that factory rifle.

So I got some 30-06 brass and I noticed that the neck thickness varied too much for my liking, I don't remember exactly how much since it's been awhile. Thought it was probably just a bad batch.

Now I have a new box of 300 win mag cases and they vary in neck thickness from .011" to .015". Since this is also a factory chamber I just cleaned them up to .013" but with this thread I am through with Nosler for a while also.

Rather just get Remington. They are usually so thick that I can turn to preference.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

First off, I am the customer Kirby is referring to in this post. I have been visiting the site for quite some time now but this will serve as my first post so I would like to say hello to everyone. I will preface this post by saying I have been shooting long distance for a long time and I am a professional engineer--leading to an anal person when it comes to my rifles!!!!

Some History:
When I ordered the rifle from Kirby I sent him some Lapua brass to set the rifle up on. The problem is that by the time I received the rifle Lapua discontinued making 300 Win Brass leaving me up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I figured I would try some Nosler brass and see if it lived up to their bragging so I bought two boxes (100 brass). I came up with a load and headed to the range where I found that roughly 50% of the rounds would not chamber. I figured I must have made a mistake and seated the bullets out too far so I headed to the house and seated them in further--they still did not chamber. I then pulled the bullets and could not seat the empty brass either.

At this point I called Nosler and explained my problem. I was informed that they had seen this problem before with a specific lot of brass (the same lot I had, of course). They promptly sent me 100 new brass with a different lot number and when I tried them I found that many of them would not chamber either. Figuring that the Nosler brass was the problem and not owning any headspace gauges, I bought a bag of 50 WInchester brass to try. I tried chambering these brass straight out of the bag and found some of them did not chamber either. At this point I contacted Kirby and was instructed to send the rifle back to figure out the problem. After receiving an email from Kirby today I went and mic'd the necks of a dozen Nosler brass out of the same box as the four I sent to him and found the thickness varying up to 0.005" on the sample I checked---not good!!

I too use many, many Nosler bullets but I sure won't be using any more of their brass!!! As for the Winchester brass not chambering properly, I am sure Kirby will figure it out. Perhaps it is because I didn't full length size them before I attempted to chamber the brass??

Eric