Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

No Crimping groove !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: No Crimping groove !

Hornady LEVERevolution Bullets 460 S&W (452 Diameter) 200 Grain Flex

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I load for a lot of different rifles (most I don't own btw) and when I work up loads and find a combination that shoots well in a particular rifle, I always make up a primerless cartridge and put it with the rifle. Thats how I started crimping bottlenecks than I started crimping them all so the bullets don't move. Not a crank down on it crimp, just a light crimp to hug the bullet. I don't seem to effect accuracy at all. It might shorten brass life or require more frequent annealings but I haven't seen that yet either.

You have designated drivers and designated chaperones, I'm the designated reloader for the group. I reload a pile of ammunition every year. We have a couple guys who like to shoot for relaxiation. me, I have other ways to relax.

I sight in a rifle and find the best combo of bullet, brass, primer and powder and don't fool with it, except for hunting and ocassional target practice.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

I use a VERY slight crimp on my .357 Magnum loads. Like Flip said, just enough to hug the bullet, where you feel a slight crimp with your finger when you run it over the end of the brass.

Too heavy of a crimp can be bad and start affecting accuracy from higher chamber pressures.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.