Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

No Crimping groove !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

No Crimping groove !

We all know Its so tough to get bullets these days . I just acquired a X Frame S&W 460. I found some Hornady 200gr XTP bullet one box on the shelf. Picture on Box showed a crimping groove ? But there isn't one on the bullets !!!! I'm wondering if I can either seat bullet deep and crimp on the radius of the bullet ? or just try and crimp with out distorting the case ?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: No Crimping groove !

You don't need a canulere to crimp a straight wall cartridge. Just crimp on the bullet. No biggie.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You don't need a canulere to crimp a straight wall cartridge. Just crimp on the bullet. No biggie.
Exactly!

You might want to just put a light crimp on it, even without the cannelure. Just enough to keep the other bullets from rattling loose, from the high recoil caliber. I love loading for my S&W 686 6" .357 Mag & S&W 629 6.5" ported .44 Mag.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Probably should not state this (I'll get flack I'm sure) but I crimp everything including all the bottleneck rifle cartridges, cannelure or not... Not a stong, deep crimp on the conventional rounds but a light crimp.... even the 338 Lapua's I heavy crimp all my reference workups and mark the cases with a paint marker for later reference, that way my feeble memory don't have to recollect what I set the OAL at, I load for many different calibers and weapons.

My reasoning is simply that it insures that the round stays where I seat the bullet at, even if they are rattling around in my hunting jacket pocket or I happen to drop a couple.

I use Lee collet crimpers on bottleneck rounds and the conventional seat/crimp die on straightwall cases.

There, I said it. Let the pummeling begin.....
Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

There, I said it. Let the pummeling begin.....
No pummeling indicated, while not obsessive about it, I have a crimp die for 375 H&H as on kickers like 350 grain Barnes the bottom ones can come loose if magazine fed. Friction fit is OK dependent on the tolerances in the dies. I haven't used it in ages, but I have a
C-H cannelure tool, I think they're still around. Corbin I believe also makes one.

I'm not disagreeing with any prior advice just adding an option.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

I shoot a lot of vintage military rifles and I have found that most have very long throats. I have found that by using a Lee Factory Crimp Die I can load a round so it will work through the magazine and be very accurate. Much more accurate than a non-crimped round. I have not seen this improvement in accuracy with my modern shorter throat rifles where I can load the bullet closer to the lands.
For ALL pistol rounds I use the Lee Factory Crimp Dies. They put a nice taper crimp.

You can load the bullet deeper and crimp over the edge of the bullet but a regular lighter crimp should work. You do not want to try to run those 200 gr XTPs more than 1000 fps because they are designed for the 45 ACP. These bullets are .541 diameter and your 460 calls for .452 diameter. The 200 gr .451 probably will not be very accurate. The lightest bullet that Hornady list in their loading manual for the 460 S&W is their .452 diameter 240 gr XTP-Mag. Just some food for thought.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Yes they're the wrong bullet and I'm returning them today.