Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

nickel plated brass reloadable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Bronze Member

nickel plated brass reloadable?

Is nickel plated brass reloadable? Why do some factory loads use this type only for certain rounds?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: nickel plated brass reloadable?

Yes they are reloadable. The brass is thinner to allow for the nickel plating. Expect a shorter life before they are no longer fit to be reloaded.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
Yes they are reloadable. The brass is thinner to allow for the nickel plating. Expect a shorter life before they are no longer fit to be reloaded.
That applies more to a bottleneck case. I can load just as many times, a straight walled pistol case in brass or nickle plated brass, makes no difference other than the nickle don't tarnish or show fingerprints like brass does.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Gold Member

You're right Sidecarflip. I may have made a assumption based on forum that was not correct. I use alot of nickel plated brass in my pistols with no noticeable difference in the number of reloads.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
I'm getting more reloads out of my 7mm RM winchester nickle rifle brass than I am with regular Federal brass. And I neck-size only, so both brass get the same treatment. Nickle brass is also heavier, which to me means it can probably withstand more pressure, because it doesn't show as many pressure signs with the same loads as it does with my regular brass.

Honestly, I prefer the Win nickle brass. If anyone has a bunch of it, and doesn't want it, shoot me a PM. Neck-sizing makes it very useable for my applications.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

They CAN booger up your dies or trimming equipment

Example: New WW 280 Remington nickel brass. Some necks were dented as is common with all WW brass so I ran a Lee Collet mandrel down the necks to uniform

Now the Lee Collet mandrel is not hardened steel like some dies. The mandrel was longitudinally scratched because it was entering a neck ID smaller and expanding it

I have also had to order a new trimmer head from using the nickel

I think that the reason some have not noticed the wear on their dies is because it is happening up inside the die at the forcing cone where the neck mouth hits the die and is forced into the neck sizing portion of the die. Not readily observable and hard to quantify

Varmint Al's Handloading/Reloading Page
Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

The nickel plated cases are reloadable, but definitely harder. Trimming them gives me the willies, you can tell it is way more work than brass . . .