Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Nickel plated brass??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Nickel plated brass??

Hi guys.....I've been reloading for 40 years but have never messed with the nickel plated brass. What are the pros "if any" and cons of this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks/Rich
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nickel plated brass??

I asked this awhile back as I didn't know either. Some felt that the plating would flake off, some said it actually held debris and scratched their dies. Others said they saw no difference, so I got some and tried it. So far I have not noticed any difference as far as strength, stretching, flaking, ect. I do like the fact they never tarnish or look bad. So for me at least so far the only con has been the slightly higher price.

I by no means use it exclusively but have in a couple different cartridges. Sorry for the limited experience but thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyman View Post
I asked this awhile back as I didn't know either. Some felt that the plating would flake off, some said it actually held debris and scratched their dies. Others said they saw no difference, so I got some and tried it. So far I have not noticed any difference as far as strength, stretching, flaking, ect. I do like the fact they never tarnish or look bad. So for me at least so far the only con has been the slightly higher price.

I by no means use it exclusively but have in a couple different cartridges. Sorry for the limited experience but thought I'd throw it out there.
Thanks Muley....The only obvious thing I could think of was maybe neck turning?....Rich
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

About the only thing I've noticed is it looks way cooler
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

what big green said. it looks good. i use it in calibers i can't get lapua. i use in my 30-06 garand even though i can get lapua.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Has anybody tried turning the neck? How about annealing?.......Rich
Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

I try to stay away from it, but have loaded it. You get alot fewer loading from the nickel plated brass and I have had it flak. The more you have to work it the shorter the life. And no you cannot annel or turn it, it is brass plated with nickel. If you have some load it, if you are going to buy it count on 1/2 as many loads from it and figure your price from there.