Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

nickel plated brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member
nickel plated brass

Just wondering, Is it bad for your sizing dies? Can it perform as good as plain brass? thanks for your input ,Jimm

Unread 03-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Re: nickel plated brass

Have heard a lot of negatives and some positives on nickle brass. Personally I wouldn't use it unless I had to. That being said, I just bought 100 nickle cases for the 7mm Mag I'm building. Why, so no one gets em confused and shoves a round in one of my .264 Win Mags! My wife, my son, and I go to the range every other weekend, and I just wanted to simplify things by letting my wife have the bright shiny rounds! The metal will be harder to trim & debur, they will likely be tougher on your dies, but if you're doing things the right way, I doubt you'll see any severe consequences any time soon. Clean your dies after each job, and you should not have any major problems.
Unread 03-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks nighthunter for the reply.Their does'nt seem to be many opinions on this subject. I'm still trying to find some tests with hard data.Will post findings if I do.
Unread 03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

Years back for some reason I can't quite recall, maybe it was seperating brass, we used RP 223 in nickel in my wifes match rifle.

The brass weight was unusually uniform. Such that I gave up weight sorting. It produced great groups at 600. Lasted as long or longer as any other brass. Sizing was not a big deal. Trimming was a bit tougher. I even annealed some of it and had no problems.
Thats just a FWIW.
Get as close as you can, but utilize your skills as needed.
Unread 03-04-2005, 07:59 PM

I personally wont be using nickle cases anymore after I get the ones I already have loaded shot. Had one crack on me after resizing it.