Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Newbie Reloading ????'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Newbie Reloading ????'s

Ok guys... laugh if you must, but I know very little about reloading and have some simple questions. I just spend $1600 for all the good loading equipment and have all the books.. well 3 of them. There are still questions I have unanswered so I'm calling on the experts.
I've had 2 300 RUM's in the past. Kirby loaded rounds for them a few years ago. About 100 to be exact. Now that I have my own loading equipment, I'm ready to start. The last 2 RUMs were Winchester's. Now I've just purchased another RUM in the Sendero 2. Heres the questions.

I can load ammo no problem. Understand max and minimum loads. I still have the load data that Kirby had written on the boxes. This.

200gr Accubond
95.0 grains Retumbo
Fed. 215M Primers
Rem Case
2.840 Case Length
3.592 O.A Length

These are near max loads..... they shoot great. I am pretty sure they were never even tested in the gun before loading up that many rounds. But I guess he's just that good.

With this new Rem Sendero ll, where do I start? Do I just load these same exact rounds for this gun and go shoot?

How big of a difference is there in the REM and Win recievers?

Do I start at the lowest (book) loads and work my way to max and shoot to find the most accurate?

Do you always do a full resize?

My biggest concern is how far do I seat these bullets? I know its in the book, but I hear all of this info on how you want the bullet to sit .10 off the lands. How do I find where .10 is? When I find a load that shoots great..... well great. But if I want to refine it a little with bullet depth, then doesn't that start messing with pressure's? Now I have to start all over? How do I go about refining a load? Sorry for all the amature ????'s, but help would be appreciated.... also so I don't blow the gun up.

Thanks
Jason
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: Newbie Reloading ????'s

You say you have 3 books....

Did you by chance pick up Zedikers?

It will be most helpful. Here is a link Zediker Publishing

Everything you ask is available online and most on this board. Do some searches.

I determine length the cheap way, I take a once fired brass, neck size it, cut a slot in the neck and place a bullet in the case leaving it long, chamber it and gently lock the bolt and remove being careful not to smack it around, mic it and you have your distance to the lands.....back off appropriately.

That is where the micrometer seating dies come in handy.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Gold Member

More than likely you'll end up loading your maximum case length to the length of your magazine. I have that same gun and with 200 gr AB's loaded to max mag length, they still jump .126: It's still a good idea to check and I would recommend you pick up an OAL tool. I use and like the Hornady LNL. The Zediker book is a great idea, also read through the books you have for the basics.

You should do work up loads in this gun. Kirby most likely custom tailored those to the gun you had and this new one could be a whole different ball game. Start at a comfortable level below max and work up. Read and understand how to check for signs of pressure so you don't go too far. I don't start at the very minimum load, but atleast a few grains below max and do my workups. I don't fullsize, but I use a FL die and partial size, only bumping the shoulder back about .001-.002.

This is at least a partial reply to your questions to get you going, others will add more. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

Hornady lnl gauge is very good for measuring oal,in my sendero rum i found no accuracy difference in neck or full length sizing so try both and see what works for you,the 210gr berger worked very well for me with reloder 25.Everything about reloading your own ammo is trial and error,which makes the final results so rewarding when you find that special load.Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. I've got all the equipment, just needed to understand a few more things. Thanks for the help. If I do the "cut a slit in the brass, lightly seat a bullet" method, the bullet will be setting right on the lands, correct? From there, do I load a few rounds, say 4, .10 off lands, the another 4, .12 off lands, then another four a .02 off from the last untill my groups settle down or start to open back up? Is that the general method? In bullet/case depth, does this start to effect pressures to where not only will I be dealing with finding the correct OAL, but now it will be effecting pressures so I'll have to start playing with powder measurements? Thanks again

Jason
Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 AM
Silver Member

With the slit in the brass routine you can sometimes push the bullets into the lands 20 thou without knowing,a gauge is the best method or just start out with published overall lengths if it wont shoot(im sure it will) at that length try your next loads seated .5thou longer and so on,keep going carefully watching for pressure signs.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

The ultra mag has free bore. You will not be able to get to the lands. Use the oal that Kirby used. Back off Kirby's load 10% and work your way up. In big cartridges like the rum I work up in 1g increments. Some guys will load 3 or more at each charge weight and shoot for group. I load one at each charge and shoot all at the same target over the chrono watching each one carefully for pressure signs, and the desired velocity. Mean while watching the target to see if there is a grouping with in the load increments. Once I reach the desired velocity or pressure occurs I stop. In the case of pressure, back off a couple grains. Take this info and load several for a group. If it groups well your done. If not tweak the seating depth to improve the group.

Hope that was not confusing.

Steve

PS I know you are close to Kirby, I'm sure he will tell you his methods.