Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Newbie has a question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Newbie has a question...

Hey guys, im new to the site and fairly new to reloading. I have worked up several loads for my 280, and have gotten descent results, BUT... have a few issues. I have a couple loads that will put 2 or 3 shots touching, and then the next will float out about 1 to 1.5 inches. Im shooting a Prohunter and wonder if lengthining my COAL will help this out. Also, one weekend shoot a .6 group, and the very next weekend with the same load, shot a 1.6 group! The temp was around 12degrees warmer but im not sure if that did it or what. anyways..
Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Newbie has a question...

I think what you need to do with that Encore is remove the fore stock and place a small rubber "O"ring between the barrel and the stock. This will sort of free float the barrel and usually this will enhance the accuracy of them. Also, if you are using a front rest either make sure it is always positioned the same or start using a bi-pod when shooting off a bench. BTW, if you use the "O"ring be sure to check the front stock screw regularly so that it doesn't loosen and fall out. Hope this helps your rifle become more consistant.