Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Newbie - Which die setup for my needs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

BT

AJ knows what he is talking about.

It doesn't matter to me, being as you are not going to go wrong which ever way you go. Even I can make consistent 0.002 runout bullets with any combination you have listed.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.throw the lee seater die as far as you can throw it.
That is so very funny and so very true.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktails View Post
Thanks for the reply, BuffaloBob. The Sinclair Concentricity Gauge is also on my list of items still to get. But what about the types of dies I need? Which ones should do you recommend that I get for sizing cases?
I will reiterate what AJ told you: Full Length Bushing Sizing Die, Redding Type S. You do not need or want a neck sizing die for hunting. Crimping is not needed or desirable.

You can get the Redding die set with the FL bushing die and micrometer seater. You can get a Forster seater without the micrometer feature for a little less that is of comparable quality and design to the Redding seater. You will be making excellent ammmo if your brass is good quality.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

I use a neck sizing die for some rifles for hunting. It is just fine as long as you have a body die and know when to use it.

Nothing wrong with going with a full lenght die and adjusting it carefully to just get you back to a real nice chamber fit. It can produce very good results too. But you want to be careful not to squish things too much with the full length die (or the body die for that matter) and get the case loose and sloppy in the chamber.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all of the input. Just goes to show that there are different ways to get the same results. Now that I know what combinations of dies will get the job done, I just need to make up my mind and place an order. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

For quite awhile I used Redding Comp neck size die sets for all of my hunting rifles. As a previous poster said, you just need to know when to use the body die.

Recently, I decided that the Redding S type bushing dies w/ comp seater die may be an even better (and cheaper) way to go for a hunting rifle. I just ordered 2 sets from Rool-Your-Own on this forum. Price was good and delivery was fast enough.

It is my intention to just push the shoulders back about .001" each time I resize while still having full control over the neck sizing operation. I have read that many benchrest shooters are using this approach with great success.

I'd also like to emphasize that the micrometer adjustable seating dies are worth their weight in gold. I would not by another set of dies from any manufacturer without them.