Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Newb and a Lee Collet die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Newb and a Lee Collet die

Hey Bb

The Redding Press does cam over but the instructions from Lee for the Collet die state specifically to set your press so it DOES NOT cam over.

I have done it both ways. Once you reach 25# weight on the lever there is no use for any more. The collets have sized the brass onto the mandrel and the brass will not compress any nor will the mandrel. It is easy to just lean onto the lever everytime with the same force. Camming over just puts more stress on your press and the die.

I check all my neck ID's with pin gauges and consistancy is not a problem.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Newb and a Lee Collet die

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Hey Bb

The Redding Press does cam over but the instructions from Lee for the Collet die state specifically to set your press so it DOES NOT cam over.

I have done it both ways. Once you reach 25# weight on the lever there is no use for any more. The collets have sized the brass onto the mandrel and the brass will not compress any nor will the mandrel. It is easy to just lean onto the lever everytime with the same force. Camming over just puts more stress on your press and the die.

I check all my neck ID's with pin gauges and consistancy is not a problem.
I know that Lee does not advise it. There are two reasons for this. One most Lee presses will not cam over anyway and the other is , if a user does not adjust it correctly to start with and goes a bull at a gate with it then the die can be damaged .

You can not apply exactly the same poundage each time case after case fatigue will set in especially if doing many cases in a batch .
I disagree that extra force is placed on the press system the amount of poundage to size the neck down onto the mandrel remains the same but with cam over you apply less with your arm to get the 25 lbs at the case neck and get a positive place to stop .
Each to his own I guess , it can be done both ways and if you are happy then that is all that matters but in time as your arm ages you will go to cam over . I can size a 223 case neck with one finger on the press handle using cam over .
However working up slowly to the cam over point is the secret to getting it adjusted right. Most that damage the die just whack the die in and lean on the press with their whole body weight to get it to cam over . Result is the top cap blows off .