Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Newb and a Lee Collet die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: Newb and a Lee Collet die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Funny that's nearly identical to how I set mine up, the only difference being, I have a Lee classic cast which has stops on the linkage, so once you hit the stops that's it.
The Lee Classic cast is the only Lee press I would buy .
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

I also have the clasic cast with collet die in 7rm. And I was haveing the same issue as you. But before I go into it let me state that before I got my 7rm I was useing a lee challenger press collet die in 3030win for my contender and never had that issue. So, when I started with the classic cast and 7rm I figured it was the press and tryed useing the challenger and 7rm collet die. The result was identical. So, I then called the factory and was asked to try this,set up the die as instructions state run a case through lower the ram and spin the case 1 third way around and resise. Wola it works perfectly.
PS I also use fed cases and as for the 25 pound force thing I hardly use any preasure on the handle
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

bit of a learning curve with the lee collet die, but if you clean it, lube it, set it up right, it's well worth the effort. If you are a competent shooter, you will see a difference when you start to do all the "little" things to your reloads.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

I have collet dies for 10 different calibers and this is the way I adjust all of them:

Run the lock collar up to the TOP of the threads

this will put the lever at the most horizontal when sizing

and makes it easier to gauge 25# on the lever

I also order undersized mandrels from Lee (only $5.00 ea but minimum order applies)

since I did not have good luck reducing the diameter by spinning against an abrasive (hard to get it reduced and still have it perfectly round and the exact same diameter from top to bottom of mandrel)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

I use these and body bump dies. I've had excellent low run out with them. To the op, it sounds like you need to polish your mandrel down or order a smaller one from lee. Do y'all think it would be better to use the collet die first then the body die or the body die then collet die? Reason im now wondering is Because the guy in the video mentioned a slightly rounded shoulder from using the collet, the body die used after the collet should remove this.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
I use these and body bump dies. I've had excellent low run out with them. To the op, it sounds like you need to polish your mandrel down or order a smaller one from lee. Do y'all think it would be better to use the collet die first then the body die or the body die then collet die? Reason im now wondering is Because the guy in the video mentioned a slightly rounded shoulder from using the collet, the body die used after the collet should remove this.
I think it's what ever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about it, the less you work your brass the better. I run mine through the body die first.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
I have collet dies for 10 different calibers and this is the way I adjust all of them:

Run the lock collar up to the TOP of the threads

this will put the lever at the most horizontal when sizing

and makes it easier to gauge 25# on the lever

I also order undersized mandrels from Lee (only $5.00 ea but minimum order applies)

since I did not have good luck reducing the diameter by spinning against an abrasive (hard to get it reduced and still have it perfectly round and the exact same diameter from top to bottom of mandrel)
If that Redding Boss press will cam over centre it would take a lot of wear and tear off your arm and shoulder . As you do more cases you loose strength and consistent down pressure and get less consistency than camming over centre will achieve . The press should do the work not you. The most leverage is in the last few fractions of an inch of ram movement before it cams over .
See if you can get it to cam over and if it does then just try a few cases like that . I feel sure you will need far less muscle on the handle.