Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Newb and a Lee Collet die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Newb and a Lee Collet die

This is the first round I've ever tried to make and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. After spending all night on YouTube and reading forums I don't know what that is. I take my 7mm rem mag case and put it in the Lee collet die. It punches out the primer but doesn't size the neck at all. After initially setting up as recamended by lee and now bottomed out in the press so it can't cam over I'm sure I'm putting way more then 25 pounds of force on it. I'm about to break the handle on the press or break my table I'm sure. I can still insert a Sierra game king and pull it out of the case with my fingers. What do I need to do. Thanks.

Last edited by LongShot73; 02-03-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Re: Newb and a Lee Collet die

Well perhaps this is all the tighter the neck should be. I just went for it while bracing the press with one hand and pushing with the other. I crushed the case in. Should I be able to push a bullet in and pull it back out. It doesn't slide in and out with ease but I can do it.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Bronze Member

Somethings goofy for sure.
Did you take the die apart and clean it before using it? You should put a little grease on the taper between the sliding sleeve and cripping collet.

If you shake the die it should rattle and the mandrel/primer pin should be loose.

I just checked mine and the sliding sleeve protrudes 0.286 from the bottom of the die body. The pin protrudes 0.200 from the bottom of the sleeve. I can easily adjust neck tension from 0.000 - 0.0025 tight by adjusting the die up/down in the press. At 0.002 tight, there is slight resistance when the press cam over (maybe 3 lbs or so).

The way mine is adjusted, shell holder pushes the sleeve up 0.040 - from initial contact to full stroke of the ram.

I would take it apart and clean/lube it and start over.

Last edited by kermodie; 02-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Just a thought but you might want to mic the mandrel, sounds like it's over sized, careful about the pressure your applying, you'll squirt the die guts out the top.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongShot73 View Post
Well perhaps this is all the tighter the neck should be. I just went for it while bracing the press with one hand and pushing with the other. I crushed the case in. Should I be able to push a bullet in and pull it back out. It doesn't slide in and out with ease but I can do it.
no you shouldn't be able to move it
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Find someone that reloads to help you get setup.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

Did you view this one.