Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

newb help looking for advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM

newb help looking for advise

I have always wanted to start reloading but the area is so vast I kinda get lost in all the info. But if I wanted to get started what is the basic things that I need to start ?? I will start with a .308,5.56 and maybe 25.06 and .204. So does the companies that sell kinda the complete kits worth it or not?? thanks Rob
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: newb help looking for advise

I started with this 2 years ago ...

... and slowly followed by dies from Redding, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, RCBS handheld primer, Franklin caliper and tumbler, etc...

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

I started out years ago with the Lee Anniversary kit and it did a fine job. It Is pretty inexpensive and if purchased with "Modern Reloading" is pretty informative. I have long since upgraded but i made some really accurate loads with that equipment. It is also helpful if you can get someone to let you load a few rounds with them and get you started. You dont have to get the most expensive kit out there to make quality ammo, but you may want to upgrade some components as you get a better grasp.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks guys I did not want to have to buy the best and most expensive in order to get good results. I am going to keep looking at the starter kits available. What is needed to be purchased oth r than the kit and the dies and holders??
Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

I grew up with RCBS, love their presses. The rest of their stuf I hardly recognise anymore.

The most valuable thing you can buy will be a reloading manual like Hornady, Nosler etc. The most important part you can read will be the boring why, how and what sections in the front half of the manual.

There are lots of starter kits, now. I think most of the pres and die companies have kits. My brother in law got my dad/grandpa's set-up. I was short on cash, and did the Lee aniversary kit back when it was $75. I like it and use it still.

Now I'm dreaming about a Lyman kit. I think I will like it better has the case trimmer in the kit. I know I will still use the Lee, I think I just want another press on the bench.

Great place to get a great kit for a great price, classifieds, fine some widow selling her husband's whole bench for a few hundred, can't go far wrong, and probably have more do-dads than any starter kit.

Last edited by BigSkyGP; 02-12-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM

I have done a little reading and think I am going to go with the RCBS supreme kit. Good choice or not?? I think I will have to buy a set of dies and a holder along with a case trimmer correct?? Anything else ?? Thanks Rob
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

For about ten bucks you can do the Lee trimmers. Untill you get into volume reloading. The 5.56 make my fingers hurt after a while! I like them because you can never trim off way too much, by accident or anything like that.

If you buy certain die sets they come with the shell holder. Yes. You will need a decent dial/digital 3 or 6 inch calipers, (I like Starett)

Last edited by BigSkyGP; 02-13-2011 at 11:19 AM.