Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

new to wildcatting...help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

new to wildcatting...help!

I have a .243 a.i. on the way. Never done this before,so, what is the tecnique for loading for this cal.?I will be using new Lapua brass and I dont want to screw it up by performing unecessary operations.As I dont know diddly about this all help will be constructive. Thanks guys , Jim
Old 03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: new to wildcatting...help!

Jimm - I have a 243 AI in the works as well so keep me posted on your technique and any problems.
I did a search on fireforming on www.reloadbench.com and found some usefull info there.
There has been several post on this site for the 280AI and a ton of info there as well. A search will get you headed in the right direction.
Another place I found was www.anglefire.com/nd/243ackleyimproved/ this has some other links that may help.
I can't wait to start loading for mine. I'll use my current load and work up from there.
Good luck
Old 03-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the links Cowboy, however the anglefire one did'nt work.Are you going to dies made for the a.i. to set the shoulder back or just use std. dies when they need it?Also are you planning on using bushing dies? Thanks again Jim
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Thats because I spelled it wrong, try this instead. www.angelfire.com/nd/243ackleyimproved/
I ordered a redding 2 die set from midway for now but will probably end up with a bushing neck sizer as well. I just wanted to get the bare min to start with then branch out from there.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

That worked ,now my eyeballs are gonna fallout from all the small print [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Writers Guild

The AI is very easy for form for. If the chamber is cut correctly, reg 243 brass is loaded and fired. What pops out is a sharp shouldered min tapered case.

You can also form the brass using a cream of wheat and a light charge of pistol powder. That saves money in bullets.

You can use 243 load data and just increase beyond max no more then 10%. There is also data on the net for the 243AI.

For sizing, the easiest is to get a lee collet neck die for the 243. It will work on the AI case. The reg 243 seating die will work for the AI as well. Because of the sharp shoulder, case life is usually long if pressures are kept sane. When the base gets a bit big, you can run the brass in a '06 family sizing die and that will size the base. Except for a Redding body die or similar, FL sizing is not possible using reg 243 dies. I usually pitch the brass at that point because it has probably been loaded 6 to 12 times and has other wear issues.

Good luck with your adventure. A great wildcat to start with.

Jerry
Old 03-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

Jerry - All you do is neck size till you have chambering probs then pitch the brass? Are you using inexpensive brass? How many loadings do you think you could get if you body sized at that point? When you pitch your brass do you buy factory 243 and fireform again or do you load your own 243 for the forming process? If you use the cream of wheat method how many times to get completely formed. If you use a bullet for forming do you seat to the lands? Sorry for all the questions and I have seen all this before but I want as many takes on the subject as I can get. Got any other good links for Jimm and me?