Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

new vs old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Gold Member
Re: new vs old

Splattermatic, Don't know where you are buying TSX, but go to Midway or Cabela and they are cheaper than that. Unfortunately, bullets are going over the moon with metal costs. Luckily the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt. To cover another question, several things have changed over the years. WE are pushing bullets at higher velocities than before and the closer to 3,000 fps and above really changes terminal ballistics at impact. Also, manufactuers have changed specs over the years. A good example is the old Remington CoreLokt. Somebody at the factory decided to thin the jacket several years ago. Now the bullet does not perform as well as it used to. THe Remington Ultra Bonded was designed to correct the problem and compete in the space age bullet market. Choices!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Unread 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

My opinion and 25 cents won't buy you a cup of coffee, but here it is anyways...

Over the last 15 years, between me, my friends and my kids I've watched about 75 deer shot with rifles and 400 yards is still quite a ways out there for us. When my oldest son started hunting he used a 6mm so I thought matbe I should try some Nosler Partitions. After "TWO" lost deer in one day (one I watched the bullet center the lungs)and only one small speck of blood to show for it, he shot the biggest muley doe I have ever seen, broadside, slightly quartering away. When I pulled her lungs out they looked PERFECTLY healthy with the exception of a small hole. When I got her home and skinned her, the off-side shoulder almost fell off. That is 20+ inches of penetration befor expanding then BANG!!! The first two deer were shot broadside so it was the same as shooting them with a FMJ bullet. I'm still sick 10 years later. So I thought long and hard about it and I went back to what my dad used in a 243 when I was growing up; 90gr hollow points. When I was a kid a never understood all the articals about tracking deer after the shot; our deer never moved from where we shot them EXCLUDING shooter error).

I think the writers are on the payrole of big bullet companies so they are iclined to write about the "NECESSITY" of premium bullets for deer, and then go on to say something like; "at the shot the buck rared up ran into the brush. The guide found him 75 yards into the trees...full penatration of the whiz-bang-bonded-locked-tiped super bullet. My daughter's 4-point muley this year was ten feet from where he got hit with an 80gr Rem cor-loc because of kicking. My son shot a nice whitetail the same day with a 22-250 and 55gr "whatever bullet I had at the time." He didn't even quiver, just collapsed.

Bullet manufacturers are making tougher and stronger bullets now and when you shoot a deer with them they zip right through like a FMJ.

Standard deer (up to 150lbs) shot at standard distances (<350 yards) with standard calibers (243 - 30-06) need standard bullets (Speer hot core, rem cor loc, etc.) Premium bullets for deer is hogwash; but thats just MY opinion, I could be wrong!!!
Genises 27-3: Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison...
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Hi it all depends on the game if it is feral goats and pigs under 300 yards the old lead cored copper jacket hollow or soft points with pure lead work beautifully as they realy open up and flattern the game the budget cheepest projectiles i find work the best no hard alloys and no bonding you can use them in the magnums if you go the heavy for calibre way. The thing i will pay for though is an accurate long range projectile projectile manufacturing has come a long way and is allowing us to shoot further than before but as with the close ranges the Match Bullets are still the best.

As for the solid coper projectiles my opinion is they are only good for one thing that is real heavy game like bufalo and other game that might bight back and are very big that penetration is everything. But saying that a good quality FMJ like a hornady steel jacket projectile will work as well as anything.

I am going to use the Wildcats in 338 for my long range rifle as i wil be shooting past 1000 yards with it so in that situation it is worth every cent for the long shots and i am also going to try them against MAtch Kings for my Target SHooting to see if their is an advantage there because i want to win.

Cheers Bill
Unread 04-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Funny thing you bring this up. I've been shooting factory Hornady SST's in my .270 the past couple of years. Decided to try some ol' Rem. Core-Lokts in Reduced Recoil the other day and shot the very best group outta my rifle that I've ever shot.
Tom Anderson
Wilson, NC
Unread 04-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

You can get a box of 500 SMK's at a fair price. Like others have said the NBT's do the trick.

Other than dangerous game they are the only two I use,with a berger thrown in once in a while [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Accuacy kills