Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New to Reloading, need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 06:43 PM

New to Reloading, need some help

Hi all,

So I have recently finished purchasing all the items I need for reloading, except for powder, as everyone is out.

The rifle is a Weatherby Mark V Accumark, chambered in .338 Lapua.

Now I have not started reloading at all yet. I just finished mounting my press and powder measure to my workbench and that's it.

I have the Lapua brand brass and I pulled a casing out of the box and measured it with my calipers. It showed the length as ~2.605". The RCBS trimmer chart, and anything else I can find, says to trim the case to 2.714" and the case has a max length of 2.712".

Is my brass defective because it is too short? Or am I missing something?

Thank you for any help/info, in advance.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: New to Reloading, need some help

You'll be fine. I've bought plenty of brass new that was shorter than the trim length; it'll grow.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 05-30-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 PM

Alright, that's so good to know and quite a relief.

Should I still run the brass through the re-sizing die, to make sure the neck is the right size and all that?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Silver Member

Unless it come resized and trimmed it will need to go through the press.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Yes, I would run the case into the sizing die at least enough to ensure the mouth is round. They may not need to be trimmed to length, that's fine, but I would give them a touch with a champher/debur tool.

Depending on what you plan to do with your loading I would load 2 or 3 'tiers' of ammo, power levels. That depends on what powders & bullets you have on hand and your goals. You don't have to freelance without data, there are some powders & loadings that allow one to load different ends of the spectrum.

Often as I am setting up a rifle, initial scope zero & such, I start off with modest loads, or odds & ends ammo. Once things are close I use my better ammo.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgoto View Post
You'll be fine. I've bought plenty of brass new that was shorter than the trim length; it'll grow.
Before you measure your case, run it through your full length sizer. The measurement will be different after that. Then you turn or trim, beburr flash holes and primer pockets.

The amount your case will lengthen on each shot varies with each lot of brass. I can go several firing between actually running my case in my trimmer and just using a chamfering and reaming tool.

If your brass is chambering in your rifle and isn't growing a second lip around the mouth, I wouldn't worry about it. If you jam the mouth into your chamber too far, the entire neck can come off. I have seen this on a military 30-06 with surpluss ammo. I measured the ammo for the guy that owned that gun. I think the case jammed almost .020 into the chamber. The bolt closed very tight. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger to begin with.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: New to Reloading, need some helpl

Lapua is first rate brass. Lube it, lube case mouths, full length resize and chamfer. With Lapua brass I have found that's all you really need to do. Flash holes are excellent and being on the short side (after resizing) won't hurt a thing. The .338 Lapua is a big cartridge to learn on, start on the low side of charges and measure powder carefully. Have fun with it.