Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New to reloading. Need help asap.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to reloading. Need help asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooters View Post
I for sure will invest in a scale as well. Forgive the ignorance here, just going off what I've heard or been told, but a local guy here in town said these large magnums could care less about a half grain difference. That seems like a lot to me. I weigh them out to be exact every time. I mentioned to him that I considered working in .5 grain loads and he said to not even bother. Either 1.0 up or down, but don't worry about the half grain loads, there pointless in a large mag. Not sure if there is any truth to that or not. Thanks again.
There is some truth to .5grains being insignificant in a large magnum. Consider the RUM catridges where 90+ grains of powder is the norm. .5grains is just over .5% Although in my 300RUM, I did make .5grain increases in powder and found a small velocity difference in each .5grain increase. Could this make a difference in the accuracy of your rifle? not sure about that, but it certainly is a variable that can be easily eliminated.