Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New member question- reloader 22 temp sensitive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:13 AM

New member question- reloader 22 temp sensitive

Hey fellas, I'm a new member but have been lurking around the site for a while. Glad to be here. My question is regarding the temp. sensitivity of reloader 22. I have a custom 7 mag with a weatherby action and a 24" hart barrel that I designed as a longrange rifle. I switched from 160 nosler accubonds to 168 gr berger classic hunter hybrid. The bergers seemed to shoot a bit more accurately. I have been loading both over reloader 22 and 210 match primers. My question is in regards to the velocity spreads. I seemed to get spreads as much as 100 fps difference on two separate days where the temperature only varied 30 degrees f.. Is that normal for reloader 22 and should I be concerned. Neither load was over max nor did I observe any pressure signs. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New member question- reloader 22 temp sensitive

Welcome to the forum.

100 fps is a heck of a lot of spread for 30 degrees. I've never seen anywhere near that much velocity spread with rl22, and I buy it by the keg.
I would guess your sun angle was different on your chrono or your distance to the chrono was different. Some chrono's just aren't very good either. The only one I trust further than I can throw it is the Oehler because it measures twice and lets you know if it garfed.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

In my experience RL22 is a pretty stable powder, not as good as H1000 but not far behind it either. I would suggest shooting that same load at 500yrds on 2 very different days and see what your POI change is and see if you have a significant vertical spread. That will tell you if it's your chrony or your load. I'm betting you won't see much change in your POI or vertical dispersion.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

I would try lighting them off with 215M primers. Consistent ignition could be your problem.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

The guys above make some valid points. Another I'd like to make err, ask: What is the ES of your load?

t

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the advice fellers, I'll have to play with the reloader 22 again. It definitely shot to my standards and gave good velocities with room to spare, I feel. If memory suites me, I think I was getting right around 2950 with 63.5 gr. I was kinda wondering if the chrony was messin with me. I'll have to possibly look into an oehler. I know the rifle didn't seem to like anything other that 210m primers with the noslers but I've yet to try mag primers with the 168 bergers. My only problem with shooting the 168 bergers is that they seem to expand the neck just a hair more than the noslers and even after caming over the press some don't seem to want to chamber very well. I'm using a redding die. I had a similar issue with a 270wsm custom with a match chambering and after using a rcbs die I had no problems. Looks like I may need to buy a set of rcbs dies for my 7 mm. Any of you had similar issues?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Bronze Member

I have used rl22 in 7mm rm and 257 wby. I lost 120 and 180fps from summer to -20 hunting temps.