Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New loader needs setup/component help (25-06 & 7mm Rem)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: New loader needs setup/component help (25-06 & 7mm Rem)

This is just my opinion....but since the OP asked for opinions, here's mine:

The two things that I saw in your original post that haven't been directly addressed yet were primers and twist rate.

Primers: Either Large Rifle Magnum Primers for the 7mm or Large Rifle (standard) primers. The 25/06 should work best with standard Large Rifle primers. You could easily just buy plenty of Large Rifle primers and work up loads for both rifles using the same primers.

As for twist rate:

The 7mm seems to stabilize the heavier bullets well as long as the twist rate in the rifle is above 1 in 9. Since you have a 1 in 9.25, you have lots of options. I WOULD however stay away from the really heavy bullets in the 190 gr+ range. Most of those seem to shoot best with a 1 in 9 twist or faster. I know on Berger's site they suggest the proper twists for their bullets, so you could use that as a general reference.

What I have been reading here is that a lot of guys are seeing good groups with the 180's as the heaviest bullet that seems to shoot well in their rifles. But I read somewhere (?) that one MAY run into problems at impact if the bullet is barely stabilized. Meaning that if the bullet is on the ragged edge of what the twist rate will stabilize, the bullet may in fact "tip" at impact. One is not likely to notice this punching through paper, but if that bullet tips when it hits a rib or shoulder blade, penetration is instantly handicapped severely.

So for me.......I won't be shooting anything heavier than the Berger 168 VLD's in my 7mm RM to give myself some room for error. That way whether the heavier bullets have the ability to tip at impact or not from my barrel, I won't have to worry about it.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

H-4350 or 4831, 160 grain AB or Partition, proven elk and deer load. Near max powder charge. I have 10 sets of RCBS dies, I would also consider a neck sizing die , very easy on the cases. They last longer and easy to work. I don't know what kit has in it but you will need case lube. Imperial sizing wax reloading manuals, light gun oil, (singer), a plastic spoon, and a multitude of small things that may or may not come with the kit. Loading is fun and relaxing and not terribly complicated. Once you learn the basics.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

I have no experience with the 7mag, but have some with the 25-06.
I donated all my nickle brass to the garbage can, but thats just me. I could not get Acubonds to shoot well enough out of my Cooper, but Berger VLD's shot like crazy, but just as important as accuracy is game performance and Bergers have done a great job for me so far.
I use std CCI200 primers and RL22 powder which some here balk at. As long as the temps that I'm hunting are reasonable (+20' or warmer) RL22 has done me good with 3130fps and .25 to .50 moa accuracy.
I have used the 25-06 to take 2 elk at 60 and 468 yards and only one shot each was needed for both. The 25-06 is not an elk gun, but it'll do in a pinch.
Thats about all I know, hope it helps.