Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New guy. PLEASE help me here. Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New guy. PLEASE help me here. Thanks

This is what I would do. If you are going tO hunt with this rifle, start your bullet length to the OAL of your magazine and start at 91 gr and work up. If you start noticing pressure problems then you won't go any higher in powder charge. Take your mOst accurate load from those. If the most accurate load Is acceptable accuracy for you then I would leave it at the mag length with the specified powder charge. If you want, you can take the most accurate load from the previous loads and seat the bullet in deeper and see if that tightens the group up fOr you. Example:

Load rounds to OAL of 3.683
Load one set at 91 then 91.5, 92, 92.5, 93 and so on. Shoot the sets in that order noting the accuracy. Go until you notice pressure signs or get to max load. Take the most accurate load and then reload it to see of the accuracy is repeatable. If the accuracy is good enough, you can leave it like it is or if you think you can get better accuracy out of the load, you can seat the bullets in .005 deeper to see if it works better. Some people go in increments of .001 deeper.

With a 300 RUM, I would just do three shot sets. Let it cool between each set.