Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New guy needs a little bit of help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

New guy needs a little bit of help.

I just started to work up a load for my rifle for the first time ever, started at the bottom, and was going to work it up. Quick history on what I have done. Took fire formed cases, neck sized them, trimmed lengths for consistancy, primed, power, bullets inserted. Went to the range today feeling all special with my new loads, sat down, went to chamber the round and sh*t, took a little effort to chamber the round. I forgot to bumb the should back. So the question is do you bump the shoulder first, then neck size it, or is it the other way around? And what is the correct way to setting up the body sizing die to just bump the should back .001 (or what ever you guys suggest). Also should I redo my whole batch. The rounds will chamber, but like I said it takes a little effort to close the action.

Just to thow this in as well. I don't believe the bullet is touching the lands. I took the ID of my factory mag, and reduced to OAL of the round a bit. I also chambered a round, and ejected it, and I did't see any wear marks on the bullet, and there was not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Garett
Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: New guy needs a little bit of help.

Quote:
took fire formed cases,
Were the cases "fire formed" in your rifle?

If you have a "sticky bolt" after you fire the new or hand-loaded cartridges during fire forming; when you hand-load then they will take "a little effort to chamber the round" unless you full length size them.

The only time I full length size is when I get a "sticky bolt" after firing. Then I will bump the shoulder back .001"; otherwise I will neck size.

I use a candle to put soot on the case shoulder, then I'll make sure my full length sizing die is set so it will not touch the shoulder. I'll run the case through the die a full stroke and hopefully the soot is still on the shoulder.
I'll then adjust down 1/4 turn and run it though again. I'll keep doing that until the die touches the soot and rubs some off of the shoulder. That should have bumped the shoulder ever so slightly, try it in the rifle and see if it is easy to chamber.

I either neck size, or full length size. There is no need to do both because full length sizing also sizes the neck.

IF, the cases were fire formed in your rifle, and... If you don't mind the hard to chamber rounds, then go ahead and shoot them... On second thought, since they are test loads, you might want to invest in a bullet puller. The cases being hard to chamber could skew your results.

[EDIT] Make sure you use lube when full length sizing, lube the case before applying soot to the shoulder.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 08-20-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
I don't believe the bullet is touching the lands. I took the ID of my factory mag, and reduced to OAL of the round a bit.
The way I figure where my lands are with any given bullet is...

I'll adjust my neck sizing die to just give me enough grip to keep the bullet in the case while holding the bullet downwards, leave the primer out since you'll use a wire to push the bullet out later.

With the bullet just seated in the case 1/16 or 1/8 inches; chamber the bullet case combo, closing the bolt all the way. Slowly eject the case so that you stop it from flying out of the rifle, then measure the overall cartridge length. Repeat this a few times to make sure you are getting the right measurement.

Sometimes the lands will grip the bullet and pull it back out, if you suspect that is happening, use a different case and set your neck sizing die to grip it less.

Then you'll know exactly where the lands are and you will not have to guess.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 08-20-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: took a repeated "out" out. ;)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

You should bump the shoulder first, then neck size. Use a comparator to make sure you only bump the shoulder about .002"
SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Sinclair Comparator/Bump Gage Body -
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I will be pulling the bullets. The wife is already rolling her eyes, but o well. I told her it is better to do this than to have the rifle blow up in my face, because someone might get hurt, and I would have to buy a new rifle. If I buy a new one it will cost more than the last one.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Bronze Member

did you check the length of the casing after full sizing? they may ne ed trimming
Old 08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

never full sized. only necked sized.