Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New gun, how do I find a LR load in 2 weeks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: New gun, how do I find a LR load in 2 weeks?

I think I'd try working up a load with the 110gr. Accubonds.I would also try some IMR-4350 powder.My old Lyman manual from 1960's shows 64.0grs of IMR-4350 as the most accurate load tested with a 117gr. bullet,it also shows that same load as the factory duplication load,my new Nosler manual shows that same load as the most accurate tested,both manuals show it at over 3300fps.I also found the IMR-4350 as the most accurate powder I've shot in a 243,6mm,25-06,270 Weatherby mag.,and 7mm mag.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

I can't offer much advice on how to find the load in just 2 weeks. However I can share that my Mark V Accumark loves 117 grain Sierra Gamekings pushed by H4831sc with a Fed 215 primer.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

My fastest way to find the best load with a given combination of powder/bullet/cases/primer is to load about a 10-12 shot ladder. in big cases I use a .3gr increment and in small cases .1gr in a .308 sized case I use .2gr. I have rarely been lead astray by picking whatever powder Sierra lists as their choice for accuracy for a given bullet weight. I would seat to maximum magazine length and let go of the fact that that may not be the very best until you are done messing with other variables.

I would shoot the ladder at the farthest distance you can where you think any difference in bullet impact will be due to the load not the shooter. On a calm day 300 yards works well for me.

I use the shots impact on paper as a guide but probably gain more from the chrono than anything. Pick out the fastest node you find and load 2 3 shot groups for a given powder charge. All told, to get darn close to the best possible load you have less than 30 shots.

To pick a primer I would first go with whatever match primer you already have that seems suitable, to decide between two I would work a load up with one as above and then load some exactly the same with each primer. The one with the roundest groups and least vertical/least ES I would go with.

For cases, I would weigh a bunch of each and pick the lot with the lowest weight variations. I would fireform then neck size with a Lee Collet Die before load workup because its a factory barrel with what is likely a comparatively loose chamber. uniform flashholes and primer pockets just to eliminate a variable.