Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New to the Game. Need help with resizing issue!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM

New to the Game. Need help with resizing issue!!

I just tried to load my first round today. I tumbled,resized the cases, tumbled then primed. I made a dummy round for my COAL. Tried to chamber the round but the bolt is extemely hard to close. I have checked all the cases and compared to new unfired,fired, and resized. I don't see any issues after I put the caliper to everything. The cartridge is 22/250. Rifle: Savage. I have used this action to swap with other barrels. Never had an issue with any factory rounds. Where do I look? Thanks for any help!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: New to the Game. Need help with resizing issue!!

Stiff or "extremely hard to close" ?............. How much shoulder bump?....... how much of the neck shows sines of sizing?............. Full length or neck sizing?........... Crimped?........... How did you establish coal?.......... How much expansion at the base of the fired cases? .................................... One possibility if it was crimped =two long oal jamming the bullet or you may need a small base die. More info will help diagnose the problem.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Extremely hard to close. I full length resized the cases. I used the COAL from my loading data and compared factory cases as well to make sure I had some parameters to go by. I can chamber a fired empty case and a factory cartridge with no problem. I can't chamber an empty resized case- no bullet. So I figured it was something in my resize set up. Sorry I can't give you alot better info.'I have to study what you are asking a bit to understand. I'm trying. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

No sweat, we all have to start somewhere and we have all bean there. Sounds like your right to suspect your sizing die if you can not chamber a resized case with no bullet. Measure your case width just above the base and across the neck before and after sizing if any thing gets bigger back your die off a couple turns to get by with and start shopping for a new sizing die. There are defective dies out there but they are rare.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Your full length die may not be set up correctly. When the case enters the die the sides of the case contact the side of the die first. Just like squeezing a tube of tooth paste the brass has to go somewhere and it will flow toward the shoulder lengthening the headspace of the case. Try adjusting it with a cam-over, ie screw the die down until it makes contact with the shellholder, back the ram off and then screw the die down another 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn or as much cam-over as possible. Size a case and try it in your chamber. If the case fits then back the die off to your original position and then keep adjusting the die down in small increments until your bolt handle will close without resistance.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Ok....the resized cases are averaging .012 longer than the fired unsized brass. You may be on to something. I'll try it. Would the barrel swap affect it enough to cause a problem ? I used "go" and "no go" gauges. I checked it again with the go gauge and it has more resistance than a factory round.nothing serious but noticeable.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsayl001 View Post
Ok....the resized cases are averaging .012 longer than the fired unsized brass. You may be on to something. I'll try it. Would the barrel swap affect it enough to cause a problem ? I used "go" and "no go" gauges. I checked it again with the go gauge and it has more resistance than a factory round.nothing serious but noticeable.
Are you lubing inside the case necks a bit? Or at least brushing them out nice a clean?

Sounds like you may be pulling the shoulder forward when you pull the case out of the die.

How easily is the case coming back out of the die? It shouldn't be a tug of war to get it out... lube the case necks very, very lightly on the inside and see if that helps.

Dan