Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New to the forum, 6.5-284 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New to the forum, 6.5-284 question

The proper tools to measure are far less expensive than the barrel life and ammo you're wasting.

ditto for a box of premium factory ammo

-- richard
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM

I see your point, but I'm just trying to figure this out without buying them if I can. I'm going elk hunting the middle of October and trying to save as much money as possible, plus I need to put a better scope on this thing before I leave. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks
Justin
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

I own the same rifle and know three other people that own it as well. With the exception of extreme spreads and a small velocity difference you shouldn't see a material difference in pressure or accuracy using Lapua new vs fired and resized brass. Unless the gun fir some reason is out of spec, you should be able to shoot 53gr of 4831sc without pressure issues, for sure at 51.5 gr. The OAL cartridge length using 140 Berger VLD's, touching the lands should be 3.18"-3.29". I have found best results seating .075" off the lands. Also, neck OD should be .292". With new brass the neck should be expanded since new Lapua is .290", too tight and the seater may deform the bullet due to seating pressure. I have found that Federal 210 Match primers work best with H4831sc. You didn't mention what FL sizing dye you are using. I use a Redding competition dye and size .001- .002" under the fired case length. The expander in this dye brings the Lapua neck to .292" which is perfect for Berger 140 Hunting VLD's. I use a .292" bushing as well. A fired cas should be around .296" on the neck.these spects appear to be consistant with other LRH's I have seen. If it's radically different, I would suspect the rifle to be out of spec.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 PM

I came up with an OAL of 3.207 touching the lands, so that seems to be within specs. I did not size my brass before I shot it so maybe the couple extra thousandths of neck tension had something to do with it. I am using Hornady dies by the way, went with the micrometer bullet seater. Works good other than we had to chuck the seater plug in a lathe and relieve the top of the plug so the long VLD's wouldn't hit on their nose.

I measured some of the resized brass and .292 seems to stick in my head. All of the reloading stuff is at my father's house. I have had my best groups with H4831sc and Remington 9 1/2's. I am going to shoot some of the resized brass tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Greyfox thanks for all the info! If I can't get this thing to shoot better it may have to go back to Savage.

Thanks
Justin
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1yote View Post
I came up with an OAL of 3.207 touching the lands, so that seems to be within specs. I did not size my brass before I shot it so maybe the couple extra thousandths of neck tension had something to do with it. I am using Hornady dies by the way, went with the micrometer bullet seater. Works good other than we had to chuck the seater plug in a lathe and relieve the top of the plug so the long VLD's wouldn't hit on their nose.

I measured some of the resized brass and .292 seems to stick in my head. All of the reloading stuff is at my father's house. I have had my best groups with H4831sc and Remington 9 1/2's. I am going to shoot some of the resized brass tomorrow and see if there is a difference. Greyfox thanks for all the info! If I can't get this thing to shoot better it may have to go back to Savage.

Thanks
Justin
Glad to help. I did have a typo on my seating depth, meant 3.18-3.19" into the lands but your OAL into the lands is fine. I pushed my bullet into the lands pretty hard.
I also wanted to mention a situation I just went through with my 260 Savage LRP. Using Lapua brass I was experiencing high pressures and sticking cases. At first I thought it was my FL sizing dye. After going through all the adjustments and even trying different dyes. I still couldn't solve the the problem. It occured with about 50% of my cases in that box of brass. I thought it might be a bad chamber but decided to buy another box of Lapua brass, different lot. It was bad brass! The new lot shot great and I'm on my 3rd reload without any issues. I was surprised because I have always had great performance with Lapua brass. I think it's a long shot, and very rare, but you may want to try a different case if you can't resolve your issue and believe it is a problem with the rifle.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Ok thanks for the heads up on the brass issue. Were you able to get any of it replaced, this stuff is expensive! I can get some 284 brass from my brother in law and try some of that.

Thanks
Justin
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1yote View Post
Ok thanks for the heads up on the brass issue. Were you able to get any of it replaced, this stuff is expensive! I can get some 284 brass from my brother in law and try some of that.

Thanks
Justin
I haven't done anything about it yet. Agreed, it is expensive. I need to contact Lapua.