Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

New Equipment

OK guys, I am sure this has been answered many times prior and i apologize for that but if you guys had to start all over what would you guys do?

Buy a reloading kit?
Piece together?

I want to reload precision ammunition for a .300WM, .300WSM and a 7mm-08. Just not sure if the kits will give me the equipment i am looking for and will need. I want to make sure my powder scales are dead on along with all other equipment being as accurate as possible...

im not worried about the money if its worth spending.
thanks,
nick-
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Equipment

If I had to start over today reloading.

Forster Co-ax

Lee neck sizer die

Forster Competition seater die

Hornady OAL Guage

Forster Neck turning tool

Ultrasonic cleaner probably cheapo one off ebay.

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Hornady/RCBS auto powder dispenser.

Hornady concentricity gauge.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

Well I am new to this myself.But its cheaper to buy a kit.I just bought the RCBS master kit.I love it but I am glad I have someone who knows wats going on.Beacuse I learn by doing not reading but the dvd they supplied was great.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Reloading is like any other hobby or trade where tools are involved. Only experience and time spent will produce the proper tools for you. If I had to start over I would duplicate what I have. There is not a "kit" on the planet that would satisfy me as a onetime deal.

But then again if you don't know what you need or which tools are best for you a kit might be a good place to start. Then as your expertise develops so will the proper tools.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Yes completely agree that time and experience = the perfect tools. But with your guys's knowledge, is there anything I should replace from the beginning tooling wise which may or may not give me the results I want from a kit?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

There are no magic tools!

It's not the tools that make the difference it's you. You could look at ten different fellas reloading benches and the tools will be different and each will turn out high quality loads. In the hands of a craftsman a mediocre tool will produce quality.

Here is one tool that will help you turn out high quality loads. A book by Glen D. Zediker "Handloading for Competition" ISBN 0-9626925-9X

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with kcebcj.
Get Handloading for Competition, and every tool suggested within it, and you'll save alot of money & efforts over time.