Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New brass vs once fired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New brass vs once fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Always good to segrate by lots, and keep brass together so that you know how many firings it has on it at any given time. Also good to know what rifle it was fired in, what reloading process was used (F/L, N/S, trimmed, annealed, etc.) the last couple go-rounds.

As far a s brass life goes, there is no real answer here for most guns. It depends on the size of the chamber, how tight your dies are, how much the neck is being worked, how much shoulder set-back your dealing with and a host of other things as well. Add in the intensity of your loads (mild or wild, it makes a big difference!) and the original quality of the brass itself, and you get the idea. Might be three firings, might be thirty-three, it just depends. Essentially, when you see sings of cracks developing, either ahead of the extractor groove, or on the case neck, the case is done. When the primer pocket becomes noticabley looser, the case is done. When you've seen things like this that concern you in a couple cases, that entire lot is done. This is why we like to keep them separated into lots. Hope this helps.
I agree with this . During my load development process I will compare the unfired new brass results to my fired brass results. This includes cold bore accuracy, velocity, ES, etc. While it's usually not the case, I have had rifles that could use either new or used with a particular lot, or brand of brass without showing a material difference. This has generally occured with new brass that is very close in size to my chamber dimensions. Also, I usually get the longest case life when this happens. I will always trim and adjust the neck size of new brass to my reload specs.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New brass vs once fired

I've not seen any big difference in the accuracy new rimless bottleneck brass produces compared to what properly full length sized once fired cases produces. As long as the case neck's well centered on the case shoulder, they all center perfectly in the chamber when fired. Both new cases and full length sized ones. Doesn't matter how much clearance there is around the case body when the round's chamberd. And a good full length sizing die without an expander ball centers the case neck better on the case shoulder; the case body's held in place as its neck gets sized down.

Same for belted cases. Belted cases have one other issue; the ridge that appears right in front of the belt after firing a new case has to be sized down to the rest of the case body diameter else it'll interfere with the chamber at that point. Conventional full length sizing dies don't size it down; a special body die has to be used. Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment has a collet die that works fine. But full length size belted cases so they headspace in your chamber on their shoulder, not the belt and best accuracy will be at hand. Otherwise, new belted cases can shoot just as accurate.

The back end of a round's never centered in the chamber anyway; it's pushed against the chamber wall by the extractor in virtually all rifles. So it's a thousandth or so off center when fired. Up front on cases headspacing on their shoulder, they'll automatically center perfectly in the chamber (their shoulder's a good match for the chamber shoulder, isn't it?) as the firing pin drives them there; clearance around the body's not an issue.

If all this weren't reality, then the benchresters would not have switched over to full length sizing their fired cases a few years ago. The size of their smallest groups didn't get any better. But the size of their largest ones are now smaller. Overall accuracy improved quite a bit.