Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New brass vs once fired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Bronze Member

New brass vs once fired

Hey everyone,

Im still pretty new when it comes to reloading. Ive done quite a bit of loading but i just recently got a tumbler and i have kept all my old brass. I have been spending alot of time prepping my old brass but i also still have new brass as well. Should i keep them seperate or could i mix them without any worries about accuracy differences? Also, whats the max number of times you shoot your brass before throwing it out? Im loading for a 7mm mag and a 270WSM, mid 60's for my powder charges and no signs of pressure.....
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New brass vs once fired

I used to not worry about it, but after some brass started cracking in weird places, I decided to start keeping track of it, and keeping it in seperate lots. And also keeping up with how many times I have reloaded each lot.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Always good to segrate by lots, and keep brass together so that you know how many firings it has on it at any given time. Also good to know what rifle it was fired in, what reloading process was used (F/L, N/S, trimmed, annealed, etc.) the last couple go-rounds.

As far a s brass life goes, there is no real answer here for most guns. It depends on the size of the chamber, how tight your dies are, how much the neck is being worked, how much shoulder set-back your dealing with and a host of other things as well. Add in the intensity of your loads (mild or wild, it makes a big difference!) and the original quality of the brass itself, and you get the idea. Might be three firings, might be thirty-three, it just depends. Essentially, when you see sings of cracks developing, either ahead of the extractor groove, or on the case neck, the case is done. When the primer pocket becomes noticabley looser, the case is done. When you've seen things like this that concern you in a couple cases, that entire lot is done. This is why we like to keep them separated into lots. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Bronze Member

I appreciate the info greatly, i have everything sorted out right now, i have new brass and once fired brass. Just getting a tumbler i havent had the chance to shoot any of my brass more than once yet. It is all winchester brass and all fired from my rifle. No mixed brass from other rifles
Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 PM

I keep all mine sorted and labeled. Which rifle (if needed), lot #, how many firings, type of sizing (FL or Neck), etc. More information is better than less if you start to see problems. It can also effect accuracy, some cases vary in capacity slightly in brands but not so much in lots.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

I have never turn away brass some day I may need them, clean them,put them in the recycle pail,rest put in ziplock bags mark them Win,Rem, or what ever.Their may be a time when the recyle pail will make one more round,or melt them down for a fishing weight,ect Cal. does not matter,Someday,Someone watching my back may need that Cal. I pray I never go there.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

I always keep new brass separate from the old. Dimensional changes on fired brass (after sizing) can be markedly different than new brass.

223 Remington necks on load ammo may run around .248" and fired may be .255 and could be sized for a better fit in your chamber. The neck on new brass may not be concentric to the case body, whereas it should be (in my opinion), if fired in the gun (assuming the chamber is straight and concentric). Shoulder to case head dimensions are often quite generous on new brass, something you can often reduce to an appropriate clearance when sizing. There is a reason all the benchrest guys fireform new brass.

I try to create reloaded rounds as consistent with one another as possible, but then I am a stickler for this kind of thing and best accuracy.

Phil