Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

New Brass

This is post that I come across from another website. What are your thoughts on this?

I am new to reloading and I bought some brand new winchester brass. I plan on setting my FL dies to neck size and barely bump back the shoulder. If I work up some loads with the factory resized cases (not fire formed to my and find an accurate load, will the load or group change after reloading my fire formed brass?

Or am I supposed to fire form my brass with some cheap bullets and light powder loads, then start working up loads.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty15 View Post
This is post that I come across from another website. What are your thoughts on this?

I am new to reloading and I bought some brand new winchester brass. I plan on setting my FL dies to neck size and barely bump back the shoulder. If I work up some loads with the factory resized cases (not fire formed to my and find an accurate load, will the load or group change after reloading my fire formed brass?

Or am I supposed to fire form my brass with some cheap bullets and light powder loads, then start working up loads.
I seem to get my best loads after the 2nd or third loading of the case. I would give a definite no to the fireforming with reduced loads. I don't think you would ed up with full formed cases. But hey there's many others on here that are much wiser than me. I look forward to thier opinions.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

CPerkins

is speaking the truth he just needs to know that he knows. Has anyone ever been taught that "he who knows and knows he knows is wise man, follow him but
he who knows not and knows not he knows not, is a fool; beware of him (or her)".
Overbore
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty15 View Post

Bumping the shoulder back shouldn't be needed, the brass usually comes from the factory already slightly undersized to fit all chambers.I would use a neck sizer die to make sure the case neck is round and check each piece of brass for fit in your rifle. Check your loading manuals and start with the starting loads and work up, your rifle may reach peak pressure before max loads are reached in the books.I have found that 3 to 4 grains off max gave the best accuracy and is easiest on brass,rifle and shooter. Shooting max loads will shorten case life and often no better for accuracy.