Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

New 7 Mag Load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: New 7 Mag Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I used the 168gr classic hunter last year with a stiff charge of H1000 and Fed 215M. it's a very solid 1/2min load my MV is around 2950. I've since switched to the 180gr Hybrids and Retumbo, it's another 1/2moa or better load. But my MV went up to about 3030. There is a pretty good difference in recoil too.
Just curious. What charge of Retumbo are you running for your 180 load?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
Just curious. What charge of Retumbo are you running for your 180 load?
69.5gr
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Hey Joe, What are the specs on your rifle and barrel?
Thanks
Tim
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Rugger M77 Tang safety Boyds laminated thumbhole pillar bedded with Devcon Plastic steel, Douglass Premium Match #6 strait taper 26.5". My GS did a full work over on my action also.

I don't think I'll go the Douglass rout again though, better to go with a top man to begin with.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I've never had any issues with Douglas barrels...What issues are you having with yours?

Since I got my action so cheap I will probably go with the Rock Creek 5R for my build.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

None other than for a long time it was a nightmare to clean, took 2 days. till I ran 1/2 of the last 3 grits of the Tubbs FL kit through it. It has always shot great though. It's lasted well though been on there for 10years now.

Joe
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

I'm really surprised you are getting over 3000fps with those 180's and out of a 26" barrel! I have got to try them. Do you seat the 180s on the lands?