Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neil Jones neck/shoulder bushing die query

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 07:39 PM

Neil Jones neck/shoulder bushing die query

Can someone advise me what advantage this style of die has over the normal neck bushing only type?
The custom Jones die includes the shoulder as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Neil Jones neck/shoulder bushing die query

You answered your own question. The button which includes the shoulder fits your cases perfectly and if you want a "bump", it will set your shoulder back uniformly.
db
Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

None. Most of the bump dies (all) will push the shoulder back if the die is cut using the finish reamer that cuts your chamber. The one thing I do not like about Jones die is the brass colored set screw that don't seem to last vary long. If you buy his dies I suggest you get extra set screws when you buy his dies. And seeing as how you live a world away I would get at least six of them. I would go with someone else and get the body die with neck bushings cut with a resize reamer made by the same guy that made the finish reamer. Or You might want to try this. 6BR.com Have this fellow Jim make you a die. Just my two cents, I know there will be lots of other opinions. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Jim's custom dies
Old 04-15-2005, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

I cann't answer as to the brass screw on Neil's dies as I've never had a problem and use his dies from 17machIV to 30-378wby. JLC, I've never used Jim to do any die work but hear he is pretty good I've talked to him and may send him some existing dies (redding)to rework over. It's hard to get a die cut from the same reamer to work for resizing it needs to be smaller so the cost of a reamer and dies is pretty steep, I've got one cut from the chamber reamer but it's kind of like a shoulder bumping die. The nice thing about Neil's die they are either threaded or arbor type. JLC are normally threaded. Another good option if using an arbor press is a set of Wilson dies then get a Redding body die for sizing when need and that will keep the cost down to $100 plus or minus. Hornady makes dies don't know too much about them I've had Redding make some up but whoever you use need to send them a fired case. Well good luck.