Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need Suggestions For Picking Reloading Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Suggestions For Picking Reloading Equipment

Just buy RCBS equipment and have no fears. They stand behind their products "forever".

Rockchucker is a great starting place
Old 10-13-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
The bushings facilitate quick die change and require a bushing adapter that goes in the press. It makes marketing sense that if you make reloading equipment you can make another thing the consumer can buy ... whether there is any utility value in it or not doesn't matter. If someone will pay money for something, someone else will sell it.

There are two ways to look at the quick change bushings:
1) it adds slop and misalignment (vertical, horizontal and angular) that can hurt accuracy and repeatability.
2) it adds slop that can help the die be self-aligning to the case/shell holder/ram and that helps accuracy.
I'm in camp 1. Others may argue against me but I've used both systems and have my own opinion.

It is not a big deal to change out a die in a single stage press, I went the route of the bushings several years ago and decided I didn't like the results so I bundled them all up and sold them. I only have one handgun and the rest of what I load are rifles. I get better accuracy and less runout without the bushings or I wouldn't have sold them.

On the subject of runout ... another good tool to have is a runout gage. I have the Forsters tool and use it to find inaccuracies in my reloading steps that introduce runout. Then I modify my reloading step to eliminate the runout.
That makes sense with the bushings, good thing to think about.

You mentioned the Lee Classic Turret press as one of your favorites. How well can you reload rifle ammo on this press? Is it about as good as a single stage as far as alignment, rigidity and such?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

if you got to have the snap in die feature, then look at Forster and forget the rest. But if threaded dies will do everything, then most any will work well. If cases are big, then your looking for power and less flex. The threaded area on a die will flex under pressure, otherwise you would not be able to thread the die into the frame. A .88-14 thread will have at least .0075" clearance just to work. ( Federal standard for a .88-14 TPI thread is 69% thread contact) That thread will move under extreme pressure, and where it moves is anybody's guess. But the bayonet system (lock & load, and others) will be even worse.

The above are one good reason a solid setup like a Wilson are always better. All cast iron framed, "O style" presses are pretty much similar. All have the same pluses and minuses. The one major advantage of the tread system is that the jam nut will pull the male thread of the die into better contact, and help fight the thread flex issue. The only problem there is having to tweak the die adjustment a couple times. Still we all have to do that, so it's a given.
gary
Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

I load 45-70, 223 Rem and 40 S&W on my Lee Classic Turret press on a regular basis and get great results. I used to also load 30-30, 243 Win and 357 magnum on the turret press but sold those guns.

Just by choice I load 7mm Rem Mag, 25-06 and 221 Fireball on the single stage presses but the Classic Turret can do those too.

One thing about the Classic Turret I like, I can use the Lee Powder Through Expander dies and the Lee funnel fits in the top of the die. It makes it real easy to charge a case using a dipper cup and you don't have to pull the case out of the press to charge it.

I'm not a fan of the automatic powder dispensers and don't use them on any cartridge I load.

One thing I do not recommend using the Classic Turret for is re-forming cases. The Single Stage press works best for that operation. I form 221 from 223 and 25-06 from 30-06.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
I load 45-70, 223 Rem and 40 S&W on my Lee Classic Turret press on a regular basis and get great results. I used to also load 30-30, 243 Win and 357 magnum on the turret press but sold those guns.

Just by choice I load 7mm Rem Mag, 25-06 and 221 Fireball on the single stage presses but the Classic Turret can do those too.

One thing about the Classic Turret I like, I can use the Lee Powder Through Expander dies and the Lee funnel fits in the top of the die. It makes it real easy to charge a case using a dipper cup and you don't have to pull the case out of the press to charge it.

I'm not a fan of the automatic powder dispensers and don't use them on any cartridge I load.

One thing I do not recommend using the Classic Turret for is re-forming cases. The Single Stage press works best for that operation. I form 221 from 223 and 25-06 from 30-06.
Thanks for that info.

Thanks to all who have replied, I've got a lot better understanding now of the benefits of different type presses and to avoid the quick removeable bushing type. Since I'm mostly going after accurate rifle loads it sounds like a good single stage is a must have for that and a simple starting point so now just the choice of which, I'll probably go with either the Lee Classic Cast or the Rock Chucker that was mentioned by most everyone so I don't think I'd go wrong with either of those. I wish I could pull the handle on a few rounds from each press before choosing but I don't know of any place to test drive reloading presses LOL.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

I always thought those little plastic cups that came with Lee die sets were for putting batter on a cookie sheet to make very small cookies......

I see no ther use for them.....

Cute but far as I'm concerned, worthless.

Never been a fan of turrett presses with 'automatic' powder dispensers simply because of metering inaccuracies with different shapes of extruded powders. I see nothing automatic about non-uniform powder dispensing.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

This place has really good prices. I've used them several times. You can get on their notification list when their inventory is replenished with an item you are interested in.

https://fsreloading.com/

I think you will always find a need for a single stage press not matter what else you add to the bench.

Here's a pic of my bench. All the presses have the bore down the center of the ram for spent primers. It is a very tidy way to decap cases as spent primers don't go all over the place.

Good luck with your purchase.