Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need Suggestions For Picking Reloading Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need Suggestions For Picking Reloading Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorgan9718 View Post

A lot of folks won't use anything progressive that doesn't say 'LEE' on the side, but I can't keep mine lined out, just too finicky.

good luck
Rick

Thats cause Lee makes good stuff. Ive got one of their presses I use as a wheel chock for my motorhome..!!!....

Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

The Lee Classic Turret will do everything you need and give you the option of using it as a single stage or auto indexing. It's one of the best values on the market. Just get a turret for every set of dies (rifle or pistol) and changing calibers is done in a few seconds.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Thats cause Lee makes good stuff. Ive got one of their presses I use as a wheel chock for my motorhome..!!!....
A block of wood (works better)......

I'm not die sensitive but I really like RCBS front load competition seater dies. You can actually get one body for every caliber and change out the top thimbles and seater plugs for everything. You have to get them direct from RCBS (seater plugs and thimbles) however.

Don't buy an ancient technology trimmer lathe. Get a WFT and trim happy....and it's cheaper.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

CH makes a pretty heavy duty press and components as well. I have a really old model that uses shell holder that look like bolts with reg nuts on the end. They have redone these models and offer a progressive as well, and a press designed for .50bmg. New shell holders are just like all the rest-rcbs, Lee, etc..
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

You can google CH reloading or CH4D
Old 10-06-2013, 03:02 PM

I use a rockchucker. Have loaded many rounds with it. Purchased in 1972.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies, lots of info here to study on, may save me some money from buying some not so great case trimmers and powder dispensers but sounds like most iron presses are pretty equal in funtionality\durability from your replies.

One question, does a Lee press need to use Lee dies and so on for RCBS and such? I was thinking this when I originally posted but after reading it sounds as if all presses are interchangeable with different brands of dies?

I've just recently gotten excited about shooting again, haven't had the desire to shoot much in the past 6-7 years due to ammo prices getting so high. I've always wanted to get into reloading but know it takes a dedicated bench and workspace which has always been limited as I have so many hobbies that require so much equipment and tooling till space gets limited quickly LOL. I never seem to give up a hobbie, it'll just take the back burner to something else for awhile but sooner or later I get excited about it again. I guess recently buying a couple Rem 700s put me back in the fever to shoot. I picked up a XCR Tactical Compact and a well customized Milspec 5R from an old friend that had to move and needed the cash. Wish he'd left the reloading equipment with me too LOL. Got the fever bad as I'm now wanting to build a custom rifle but not sure what I'd want to build. This site has me wanting to build something to put under one of those Huskemaw scopes LOL.