Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

need some reloadingadvice on my 6mm-284

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

Re: need some reloadingadvice on my 6mm-284

Can you give some details/pics? What kind of advice can you offer about some extreme pistols like this for paper punching and hunting? I have shot only some 454 Casull and heavy 45 colt/44 mag for hunting with pistols, but my Glock 40 and Wilson 45 ACP are the only pistols I have used to kill game with. I espcially like the prospects of this combo, http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek049.html . What are your thoughts?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Ernie,

Personally I think the 6mm284 is pretty extreme in capacity to bore volume for a handgun length barrel.

You also know that even though I think this I seldom let it stop me from experimenting and pushing the line as we will be doing very soon to the EXTREME with your new project [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

That said, I also believe it is much easier to drive a heavy bullet to good velocity in a short barrel then it is to drive a light bullet to high velocity in a short barrel.

If I were to build myself a 6-284 in a handgun, it would be designed for at least a 110 gr bullet and better yet something like the wildcat 120 gr ULD RBBT.

In a handgun, you will still get the same velocity advantage as a rifle does with certain powders. TO get the most velocity, possible we are looking to keep the highest amount of pressure behind that bullet until it leaves the muzzle. To get this the slower powders still produce the top velocity in extreme handguns.

Only problem with using slow burners in a handgun are mainly muzzle blast which can be severe. It really makes a brake work amazingly well though!!!

So for the combination you referred to, I would start with Rl-22 and possibly even play with some H-1000 or Rl-25 and see how they performed. Retumbo may be a bit slow but if the other two performed well I would possibly test this one as well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sewwhat89,

I will let XP answer this in detail but I will say that in a properly set up single shot handgun, you will give up very little in big game taking power out to 500 yards easily when compared to a rifle.

In the accuracy department, most of the custom XP-100s I have build would put most custom sporter rifles to shame in group size even out to 500 yards.

Most limiting factor from here out, handgun scopes and being able to clearly see your target. XP can tell you about optic options to solve this problem though.

My current deer handgun is one of my XP-100s chambered in 6.5 WSM. It rips the 120 gr Ballistic Tip out at 3100 fps and with groups in the 1/3 moa range out to 400 yards. Plus it has the recoil of a 22 LR handgun, heavy handgun at that!!! Its is quite a bit louder though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sewwhat89,

My current deer handgun is one of my XP-100s chambered in 6.5 WSM. It rips the 120 gr Ballistic Tip out at 3100 fps and with groups in the 1/3 moa range out to 400 yards. Plus it has the recoil of a 22 LR handgun, heavy handgun at that!!! Its is quite a bit louder though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet it is! That matches/exceeds the 260 in a rifle. Muzzle break too I guess?

Can you still get new XP-100 actions to build pistols like this or do you have to use a donor or custom order a BAT action [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
SPONSOR

Kirby,
My 6-284 XP-100 was built primarily to shoot the 115 DTAC. MV's currently in 2700+ range. Of course will consider Wildcat bullets for LR hunting, but am working on 1k+ PD's and potentially 1 mile (will be shooting at 5000 ft. + Elevation).

Where to start concerning SP's[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Remington no longer makes XP-100's, but you can find them used still [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I own XP's and other types of specialty handguns that could be described in terms of LR Shooting/Hunting in these cartridges:
8T 6mm-284, two 8T 6.5-284's, 9T 284 Win, 7T 7mmWSM (still waiting on it), 10T 7.82 Patriot and a soon to be built a 1-7 twist 7mm Dakota.
Several of my SP's will group in the .1's-.3's @ 100 and .75 inches to 1 inch @ 300 yards, 1.5 inches @ 600 yards and 5 shot groups @ 1k (During IBS match for record score) 9-12 inch range. For those who have done the 1k game you will understand when you have four shots in the 6 inch range or better and one that moves you out several inches [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Most of mine are the old center-grip XP's (single-shot action) that have a H-S Precision stock ( I do have a one rear-grip McMillan BR stock though.
One way to think of them performance wise (rule of thumb) is if you have a 284 Win. case you will get 7mm-08 rifle performance, or just a tad more. If you have 7.82 Patriot you will get hot 30-06 rifle performance or light 300 WM.
When you have a stiff action and short stiff barrels with the same added machine work that accuracy smith's do to BR rifles you can do to a bolt pistol action. You can shoot sub 10 MOA groups at 1k with the 3-12 Burris LER scope. One can also have a 36x Leupold converted by Wally Siebert into a 20x LER handgun scope. Another thing that i have done for some time is use high mag. rifle scopes on my SP's. I get a full field of view and then pull back. Brakes are a big help here, especially with the big boys.
Well, maybe this will wet your appetite. There is a forum that is dedicated to handguns and primarily to specialty handguns Specialty Pistols
Old 10-04-2005, 04:11 PM
SPONSOR

http://www.hunt101.com/img/316814.jpg
Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM
SPONSOR

I guess I have said all of this, to simply say if you build a specialty handgun the way you would a LR rifle that it will be just as capable as a rifle but with the lower MV given a shorter barrel. Ther eis also an added difficulty in field and bench shooting, but that is what makes it more challenging and fun. I don't own a centerfire rifle, just because I like shooting this SP's so much. Hence, my user name xphunter (A guy who uses XP's to hunt with [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).