Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

need some reloadingadvice on my 6mm-284

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 04:26 PM

need some reloadingadvice on my 6mm-284

Haven't posted for over a year, but I'm starting back to work on my project. I'll get you guys up to date on my project so you might be able to lend your expertise. Loading for this cartridge is a little different as its way overbore and throat life is short. here's the specs:
M700 Rem short action
1:8 twst 29"x 1 1/4 stainless Lilja barrel w/ a Mbrake
action trued and cleaned up my Dennis Olsen, Plains,MT
.268 neck
skim bedded in a HS Precision stock w/ 2 inches of the chamber area bedded also. I put 2 thicknesses of elec tape on the front and sided of the recoil lug when I bedded it in Marinetex
I've necked down Norma brass with Redding dies and trimmed the necks down so the loaded round is .002 smaller than chamber size. Bullets are moly coated 107 gr MK's. From everything I've gathered these are a good place to start. The first chamber on this barrel had a deep throat and I couldn't reach the lands. This time I sent dummy round w/ the gun and Dennis chambered it so I had room to chase the lands as they were eroded away. He noted there was significant erosion already and it wouldn't take me long to burn it up some more. He actually cut the throat less than the dummy round I sent w/ the barrel.
I have a 12x42 BR nightforce scope in Mark IV rings on 20 MOA tapered two piece bases from Ken Farell. I've also drilled out the sling swivel on the butt and poured hot lead in the hollow stock. Finished weight is right around 20 lbs.
Questions would be what powder, weight and how deep to seat these VLD bullets. I've taken some of my cases and used green got and some cream of wheat to fire form. It helped a little with runout on the casenecks. Most are under .004. I was going to try the cases that had as much as .007 runout and see how much difference it made.
Also, what the minimum distance I should test these loads. I mean is 100 yards useless, or should I move out to 500 right away?(I haven't sighted in the scope since I got it back from NF. They went completely through it as I was ready to sell it because my Leupold on my AR was more clear.
I've used rl 22 and got ok results, but I haven't shot it w/ the new chamber either. You folks on this board have way more experience w/ this stuff than I do. In Fact 50driver sorta talked me into building this beast a few years ago, but my long distance dreams have yet to be realized.

Post Extras:

Pages: 1
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: need some reloadingadvice on my 6mm-284

carverelli,
it does not sound like you need much help,107gr SMK's and RL22 is the magic combination for my rifle and I am just about to the end of my second barrel. my barrel is a Pac-Nor 3groove that literaly will vaporize 105gr A-Max and Berger's,my next barrel will not be a 3 groove (too hard on bullet's)
with this combination I shot a rock chuck at 1515yards last summer,with the set-up that you have it is capable of the same. good luck,
UB
p.s. my gun refuses to shoot well unless the bullet is in the lands .005 or slightly more.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:49 PM

Uncle B , thanks for the reply. I usually like to experiment w/ all different powders and bullets, seating depths and what not, but I really caan't afford to w/ this big of overbore cartridge. And I haven't messed with anything out of the ordinary twist rate ,vld etc. I was just hoping someonr like yourself w/ actuall experience w. the cartridge mentioned would affirm my suspicions before I burned up more powder and throat in the chamber
Old 09-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

My 6x284 I call it the heavy Predator rifle Remi 700 Sendareo. Hart Varmint contour BBL 26 1/4" 1in 10 twist.52.5grs of H4350 behind 87grHornady V-Max.produces close to 3600FPS.Shot a yote at 341yds looked like he was stuck by lightning. So a 3 grove rips up bullets.Thinking for my next BBL a Broughton 1in 10. They say there're barrels are made differently and some how are faster.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:51 AM
SPONSOR

I have an 8T Broughton 5C barrel and use the 115 Tubb with H-4831SC.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Carerelli,

I have a 30" 1-8 Lilja 3 groove on my 6-284 and like Uncle B its a terror on thin jacketed match bullets. It does however shoot the 107 gr SMK extremely well up to 3600 fps(Yes that is a very hot load. Only reached this in load development and toned her back to 3450 fps with RL-22).

RL-22 has been the best powder I have tried in my 6-284 with the 107 gr SMK.

Since then I have built several 6-284 for customers and currently my recipe for extreme accuracy with the 6-284 with the heavy bullets is to drop to a slightly slower 1-9 twist and use a 6 groove rifling system, Lilja is my preferred choice but there are many out there that are great barrels.

This slightly slower twist is plenty for the 105-107 gr class bullets and is also easier on the bullets with the 6 groove rifling.

When I rebarrel my personal rifle it will have a barrel to these specs.

If your looking to shoot 70-80 gr bullets at the heaviest, the 1-12 or even 1-13 twist work extremely well for very tight groups.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 AM
SPONSOR

Hey Kirby,
What would be your opinion for the 6-284 in the specialty handgun configuration I have with the 115 Tubb?
RL-22 also?