Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need to order dies and need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need to order dies and need help.

I dont have any experience with the 338-300,but why would a doughnut form just from necking up without neck turning?
If you have the neck turning expander coming,the expander should open the 308 neck to fit the 338 neck turning mandrel without having to FL size the brass.After turning the necks you should only need to size the neck back down for the desired bullet tension.A doughnut formation in the brass is usually the result of not turning the necks the proper distance into the shoulder of the case(which does or doesnt matter depending on how far your bullets are seated into the neck.Tell me if Im missing something.Im not trying to critisize at all,just trying to understand something Ive never done yet.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

After giving this more thought I think I'm just going to stick with what I know which is the Redding type S dies. This way I can always order another bushing size if need be.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

The expander does in fact, force the brass down as the shellholder comes up, forming a donut in and out near the base of the neck. Removal requires an inside reamer and a outside neck turner. I like the K&M turner, which can be adjusted by .0001 clicks. K&M also makes an inside reamer (as do RCBS, Redding, Forster, etc.) If the base of your bullet does not touch the donut inside, it is of no consequence and does not require removal. If not removed, the exterior donut will reform inside the neck when case is fired. Best to turn it off.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

I might be wrong, but if you full length size after every shooting, the donut will travel forward as brass headspaces and expandes during firing?
I've never thought about the expander pushing brass down, makes sense. But wouldn't it pull it back up also on the way out? And I guess it would make sense that different brands of more or less taper on the expander ball would cause the effect more or less than other brands?
I'm new to this game also, learning alot here.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:35 AM

I wish I had seen this thread and maybe I would have changed my mind about the 338-300.
Mine should be finished any day now and ordered the dies fromRCBS.
I sure didn't think there'd be problems expanding the brass.
I'll experiment with Rem. once fired brass and then switch to Federal if I figure out how to resize primed brass.????

Herb
Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

I don't know if you have read the other post on RCBS dies and the headspacing issue, but if it was me I would return them and get the redding bushing dies, and plan on cleaning up the necks.

Here read this it should help with getting the low es and sd needed in long range shooting....

http://www.6mmbr.com/JGcaseprep.html
Old 03-19-2007, 12:46 AM

Interesting reading and, no, I haven't read about the RCBS dies. I was naive when I ordered my 338-300. I surely didn't want to get involved with donuts and neck turning. In my 40 some years of reloading I have never gotten to that point.

I do recall getting donuts when forming 25-06 cases from 30-06. But those donuts disappeared by fireforming with the first shot.

I'm wondering if 300 RUM cases couldn't be fireformed most easily using Cream-of-Wheat. Anyone here try this method?