Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need to order dies and need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

Need to order dies and need help.

This is kind of a continuation of another post. I am having a 338/300 made and need to order some dies. I am thinking I will be using Federal brass and want to order a forester FL die with a custom neck diameter. Problem is I can't load brass with a 300 smk without the die to measure the neck thickness.

I am thinking I will buy fed brass, run it through a FL die, trim to make sure the edge is flat, then neck turn to take the high spots off, does anyone know what the brass will measure after I do this?

Dave Wilson you out there?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need to order dies and need help.

Actually what I think I'm going to have to do is buy a FL standard die that opens up the neck and then I can do the steps above and measure the neck.

Is there any other way to open up the neck other than using a FL die and an oversized expander ball?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Crusin, i'm here. sorry it took a while. what you need is a device that has interchangeable expander mandrels.i'm pretty sure Sinclair makes one but i don't know what it's called. mine is not a Sinclair but works the same. the outside is a 7/8 thread that screws into the press and the center is threaded to hold whatever size mandrel you need on the bottom.the mandrels have a tapered beginning,maybe a 3-5 degree slope that ends up at slightly under bullet diameter. hopefully about the same diameter as your mandrel for turning the necks. this operation is performed on your reloading press with the appropriate shell holder.just push the shell up over the mandrel and pull it back off.i use a generous amount of resizing lube.once the necks are pushed out,i run them through the FL sizer to straighten them out, as some are noticeably crooked.

i was told by 2 people that had this round that loaded ammo was 365 in the neck so i ordered a 368 neck on my reamer and 362 in the FL die i got from Forster.when i finally got some loaded they were 368 in the neck so i have to turn mine. wasn't what i wanted but that's what i got. i've only used Rem brass so far.i'll see if i can find what Sinclair calls their product. it's great for any new brass, as you know most of it is rather lumpy in the neck,and this tool will make it perfectly round. hope this helps.

the tool is called a Sinclair Expander Body. #NT-EXP. you'll find it in the reloading equipement,under neck turning tools.just buy whatever neck turning mandrels you'll need for every caliber you own, or think you'll ever need.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Thank you Dave for that information. I owe ya one. So if you could do it over again maybe a .372 reamer would have been the ticket? You should try some federal brass. I've heard it's a little thicker though, have you found that to be true?

How about you other 338 edge owners out there... what does your necks measure and what brass and bullet are you using?

Thanks,
Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

How about you other 338 edge owners out there... what does your necks measure and what brass and bullet are you using?

Thanks,
Old 03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Im not familiar with the Forester die,is it a bushingless die that you specify the neck dia. for? If it is and thats definately what you want,your probably better off getting your brass,turning it the desired amount,measure the wall thickness of your brass and bullet dia. then decide how much tension you want and subtract it from your findings.
All that being said,thats the beauty of bushing style dies.Redding has its "S" series full length dies that use interchangeable neck bushings as do other manufacturers.
Confused yet? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

No I'm not confused...not yet anyway. I have some redding dies but I figured I would try to get around the donut that is formed if you don't neck turn.

I just ordered some brass and an expander to open it up. After I expand the necks I will need to FL size the brass before I take the high spots off the neck. If there is anyone around Salt Lake City that has a 338/300 RUM or equivalent that can FL size some brass for me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,