Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need a Load for .338 RUM for Big Bears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Bronze Member

Need a Load for .338 RUM for Big Bears

I am headed to British Columbia in May for a Mountain Grizzly Bear hunt. I have a new .338 RUM that I am having built that will be done soon. I need some Ideas for handloads that I can trust my life on.

I am not looking for a really long range load. Probably shots will be less than 250 yards. I do need to load a tuff bullet that will be accurate and deliver a lethal blow to Mr. Brown.

Thanks for the help

Totch
Old 01-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Totch94

Try this load-
338 RUM
250 gr Nosler PT
RL25 90.0 grs
R-P cases
Federal GM215M primer
COL 3.645".
best 4 shot group @ 100 yds .490"

JD338
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totch94 View Post
I need some Ideas for handloads that I can trust my life on.
Now if that isn't one of those oxymorons?;)

I wouldn't personally want to be within 300 yds of one of those things. Just color me skeer'd.

I shoot 101gr of US-869 and the 300 SMK. As usual start lower and work up. I don't know if that's the "best" bullet to trust one's life on but it has a bunch of oomph and reports on this board pretty much describe stellar performance .

I hope it will work, if neede, as I've developed that load for hunting elk in grizz country.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

it would be pretty hard to top that nosler partition. if i were gettin to go after griz, thats my bullet, as fast as i can get it...
Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

No offense to Roy but I would NOT trust the SMK on something big that can bite back. In fairness, he did hedge his recommendation and didn't give it a ringing endorsement. I would stick to purpose built bullets proven in the field like the Partition, the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or the Barnes TSX. I know the 300 gr SMK has been used to great effect on elk and the like but it is not designed for penetration and weight retention like these other bullets are.

Just a thought but a guide might refuse to let you use the SMK's and I can't say I would blame him. Would you want to trust your life to a match bullet? Again, not trying to start a fight but this is something I feel strongly about. Having said that, I do think the SMK and Berger and such do have legitimate hunting uses based on the results seen by lots of guys on this site. Just not on potentially dangerous game.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by sambo3006; 01-16-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Very simply, Swift A-Frame now that North Fork is history. You might also consider Trophy Bonded or Barnes. These bullets will retain 90% of what they start out with. Nosler Partition is a fine bullet but it loses 1/3 of its mass and weight. They are designed to do that and they do. I prefer a bullet that stays heavy so it will break big bones on big bears. Grizz and browns are not bullet-proof but they sure as hell can be the ultimate test of a bullet if they get cranked-up and want a piece of you.

Although your .338 mag and lots of other smaller cartridges have killed a bunch of big bears, I would hunt with a .416 mag if I had the choice.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

I concur with what Sambo3006 and no offense taken. I mentioned the SMK due to the fact that's what would be in the rifle for the elk shot. And I'm not level headed enough to carry two different loads and have the right one in the chamber at the right time. Also note that I'm not ever gonna look for a shot at a grizzly.

Seeing as how Ian opened the opportunity, if I were going for a "big" bear I'd carry nothing less than a 375 H&H with a 300 gr Winchester Silver tip. Even better would be a 375 RUM that way if I had to shoot hopefully the distance could be greater.

The 416 give me the vapors!

Who wants to have one of those "Bears @ Breakfast" things where the guide has to change his skivvies.;)