Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Berger Bullets

Need help. Never reloaded before.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Need help. Never reloaded before.

"I dont want the cheap **** and i dont want the most expensive. I want stuff that will last and work very well for a long time."

Well, haveing reloaded for some 44 years with all current brands but Dillon, and a lot that have faded into history too, all I can suggest is you get current gear from Bonanza, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, Redding and RCBS, listed alphebetically.

Several of those makers do have less expensive, perhaps less durable stuff, but they all have excellant tools in their top brackets. None of them make bad stuff that will wear out in six months. Or six years. Actually, you're not likely to wear much of it out in sixty years. But a mechanical klutz user can damage an anvil with a spoon so I guess it's up to the owner how long most of it will last.

Buying by brand across the board is perhaps the poorest way to purchase reloading equipment. Each maker has some excellalnt items so it's good to follow the features on various items. Features do vary and no maker has a lock on the "best" of everything.

First thing you need to do is get a good loading manual and read it cover to cover a couple of times. It will let you know what you really need and suggest some nice to have items as well. Lyman's manual is perhaps the best for starters. Don't get more than one book for now. You will want more later but you are likely to drown in the flood of infomation if you get a bunch of books all at once.

Last edited by boomtube; 04-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Unread 04-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Go to ebay and buy a used RCBS Rockchucker, RCBS 10/10 scale. Both are about $190 new each and sell for lot less used. Riockchucker can be had for under $100 and about $50 for the scale.

Mine are 40 years old and still ticking.

Get a catalog from and RW Hart.

Most importantly find someone who is a good reloader to have them walk you thru how to actually do it and show you the mistakes most people make and how not to do them.

Unread 04-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Bounty has some good thoughts. But, observations on the longivity from his RockChucker and 1010 , while correct, are limited.

I have a couple of scales and have used others. One of mine is a Lyman M-5, the immediate forerunner to the RCBS 1010 (both made by the Ohaus scale company). It's still as accurate as the day I first opened the box in 1965. But so is my other scale, a good used, much less expensive beam scale marketed by Herters (now defunct) that I got in a batch of estate stuff in the late 60s. Point being, any good scale is a good scale. (Digitals ain't good! JMO) The various scales from Redding, Hornady, Lyman, etc. are fully equal to my M-5/1010.

Ditto the Rock Chucker press. My first press was a Lyman Spar-T turret; cast iron and steel and it still works fine. A few years later, I got a new single stage RC based on reputation. It's good too. But I actually find it to be no better than simular presses made today by Lyman (Crusher), Redding (Boss), Hornady (LnL), Lee (Classic Cast), etc. None of us will wear out any steel/iron press, nor a trully good Alum. Alloy press (LnL), in our lifetimes.

I would NOT buy a new RC tho, it tosses many spent primers on the floor and I'm tired of that. The only reasonable priced press available, to my knowledge, that controls spent primers is the Lee Classic Cast with it's fully adjustable lever and massive ram. It's what I would replace my RC with if I bought a new iron press.

Seems the more esperience we have with other brands of equipment, the less focused on one brand we become. Again, it's best to choose tools by their features, not the color of their paint.

Last edited by boomtube; 04-09-2009 at 10:14 AM.