Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need help. Never reloaded before.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

Need help. Never reloaded before.

I am new to the idea of reloading shells. someone brought it up that i should start learning to reload my shells since i pay about 60 bucks a box. i shoot a .270 and 7mm RUM.

Can anyone put a list together for equipment that i need? I dont want the cheap **** and i dont want the most expensive. I want stuff that will last and work very well for a long time.

If there are websites out there that i can read up on or books i can get that would be great info too.

any help is welcome. thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help. Never reloaded before.

There is a wealth of info here on the site, use the search function within the reloading forum. Here are a few discussions:

Recommended Reloading Equipment

new to reloading

Getting started reloading

newbie looking for reloading reference/how to books

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

+1
get a reloading manual such as Nosler or Lyman and readup, do some homework, and here also, lots of good info here.. when you'r;e ready you can ask more specific questions. Many good people here.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Bronze Member

I wachted some you tube vids and he went through the entire process of hand reloading some shells.

from what i saw i need, a press, powder, primers, bullets, brass, scale, dies, book, a ruler thing that mesures brass, tumbler/ vibrator.

anything that i missed? I will deffanately be buying a book first and doing alot of reading but i want to get looking for some equipment.

any certain brand you guys like better?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Get Lyman's "Reloading Handboook". If you have a favorite brand of bullet, get their book, too. The powder companies have pamphlets with load suggestions. Go to the mfr's websites; many have excellent info.

Your first consideration should the type of powder measuring equipment you'll want, whether to weigh manually or go with an electronic dispenser. RCBS's ChargeMaster Combo has gotten very reliable and is establishing a strong following. Forster and Redding make the better presses and dies. Do searches and read as much as you can. Get a Sinclair catalog; they sell the better equipment, although they have taken on a couple of mediocre lines the past couple of years. Their selection of accessories should be studied, although you won't need everything. You'll get lots of recommendations to buy a kit, but a well informed buyer can make better selections. It's not all about dollars. It has to do with the utility of what you buy, eliminating future replacement. Do your homework. Ask questions. You'll get varied recommendations, and those you'll have to sort out for yourself.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

I have been in and out of cabelas and scheels the last couple days looking at equipments and on this forum lookin for waht everyone uses and have compiled a list of goodies.

the next question i have is about powder and bullets.

I have a 7mm RUM and wondering what bullets you would recommend for a match grade bullet. i want something that can take down a deer well over 700 yards. also there are many different types of powder and wondering if that is just a personal choice or is there one brand and powder better than the other brand?

If anyone reloads the 7mmRUM can u list the powder and bullet you use? and primers also. thanks a ton
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 AM

I second what Winchester69 said. Get the reloading manual for the bullet you plan to use. I am reloading Nosler Accubonds so I bought the Nosler book. It is a great book that specifies which powder is the most accurate for a particular caliber. Get the reloading manual before buying any powder. I am reloading for the first time as well. I just went through the process of buying all the equipment. I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press and dies. The press broke the first time I tried to pull a bullet out of of a case that I pushed in too far. I looked at the metal that broke (a powder coated part) and it was clearly very poor quality pot metal. Keep in mind that I am talking about the RCBS presses made in 2009. The older ones seem to be very good quality, but I have no faith now in the quality of RCBS metal parts. Needless to say I returned the RCBS press and dies to the store and got my money back. I ended up replacing it with the Forster Co-Ax press. All I have to say is WOW. it is incredible. The only thing to watch out for with this press is the bullet removing dies, the ones that go in the press, are inconvenient to use in this press. Forster sells a quick-removal tool for this press that I just ordered. I also bought the short handle which I would also recommend. I do use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo and LOVE it. It is worth every penny. The only other thing I can say is do not skimp on the dies. I am starting with a Redding micrometer-based seater die and bushing-based neck and full-length sizer dies. The cost more but you won't outgrow them any time soon. Hope this helps.
akhnaten