Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need help with chrono results!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

this load has shot well before though?? with the same batch of powder/primer combo. I have shot H100 as well and I might just go back to that since it's an extreme powder. Last time I shot this load it was 32 degrees. That is the only changing variable I can think of. Thing is the rifle shot fairly decent groups. about 1.25" at 100 yrds. I just feel there is room for improvment on my grouping since my velocities are so different. Also to answer a couple more questions. This brass is on it's 3rd firing and the chrono was about 12' (4 steps)away from the muzzle.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

I know that down here in Houston the higher temps will cause variances in velocities and pressures. I have had changes in max loads that shot fine in mid 80's temperatures and then had pressure problems when temperatures went into the 90's. This was using IMR 7828, I am going to try H1000 to see if i can achieve maximum group and velocity conditions. My biggest concern is that I an going to have to change my load when the temps drop?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

I normally have to have a summer and a winter load with ANY powder regardless of "extreme' or not. And it seems that when temps are nearing 80 degrees, all sorts of weird pressure irregularities can occur with pre-loaded ammo. Just how long you leave a loaded round in your chamber when the barrel is warm and the air temp is warming up can affect your combustion. And there ain't no magical powder coating or marketing hype that can change that.

Also, the list the AJ provided is good to look at. I would also add that cases that are different in headspace length due to dies that aren't really full length sizing can change pressures too.

And there are chronos that don't work as well as others and could be affected by muzzle blast, partly cloudy days, weak batteries, and so on.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.