Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

NEED HELP - Bullet deformation from neck size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: NEED HELP - Bullet deformation from neck size

I am inclined to agree. Why throw money at a problem that doesn't really exist. IOW, we don't believe it has anything to do with your brass or your neck sizing operation.

Your brass would have to be very seriously work hardened and extremely tough to swedge down a bullet (even doubtful then, unless the bullets are overly soft)!

Like MikeCR and Boss Hoss also said, take the measurements that we've asked for, and maybe we can help you figure this out, without alot of undue expense and frustration.

A post fired neck OD measurement (of the brass)will kinda tell you what size the chamber neck truely is.
A post loaded (bullet seated) brass neck measurment will tell if it's your seating die.
A chamber cast is also a good idea if you are still having issues after doing some measurements.

Generally, Redding dies are just great. I've never had an issue with redding at all. If you're shooting a standard/factory 700 ADL, it can be kinda pointless to spend alot of money and time on turning necks, setting up precise neck tensions, and buying specialty dies. I've had a few different factory rifles that would shoot 1/2 minute groups at 300 and 400 yds with normal standard dies, and I doubt that an Inline Wilson bushing die would have made those factory tubes and chambers shoot much better than that.

Really, I am only trying to help.

Last edited by SBruce; 02-21-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

If all of the measurements turn out normal.

I know this sounds like a long shot, but maybe the die is screwed down too much.

It may be possible that you are pushing the case too deep into the seating die causing it to have a crimping effect.

Back the die off alot and screw the seating plug down more and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockZ View Post
If all of the measurements turn out normal.

I know this sounds like a long shot, but maybe the die is screwed down too much.

It may be possible that you are pushing the case too deep into the seating die causing it to have a crimping effect.

Back the die off alot and screw the seating plug down more and see what happens.
I agree, I think that's your problem as well. let us know.