Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need Die recomandations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 AM

Need Die recomandations

HAving a custom rig built by Chris Matthews. Excited to no end.

While waiting for this beast. I'm looking to do some loading case prep etc. The Cal. will be 6.5-284. What dies does everyone recomend.
As far as Brass I'm thinking Lapua. Do I want to F/L resize these first then neck size after first firing.

Looking to load the Sierra 142 HPBT Match Kings

Thanks in advance

Joe
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Need Die recomandations

I just got a set of Forster bench rest dies for my 7 mmsaum for Christmas. They look really good. My Dad has used this brand of dies in his 22-250 for years, and he says he would'nt use anything else.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

I just had a 6.5x284 (tight neck) built myself. I have several sets of Redding Comp bushing dies and am very pleased with the quality of the dies and the ammo they produce.

I much prefer bushing dies over any type of sizing die that uses an expander to ball pull the neck back out to the proper diameter. Expander balls are a great way to diminish concentricity or otherwise ruin cases, IMO. The Redding Comp set comes with a body die in case you "periodically" need to reduce overall body diminisions for easier chambering. If loads are made to reasonable levels this won't be needed too often.

Some guys prefer sizing dies that fully resize but still only use a bushing to size the necks, thus avoiding the use of an expander ball. I haven't used them myself, so I can't comment on these.

6.5x284 brass is available from Lapua, Norma and Hornady. Since I have had very good results with Lapua brass in several other cartridges, I bought a few hundred to get started with.

Good shootin' - VH
Old 01-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Varmint Hunter.
My 6.5-.284 Redding competition Seater and bushing die produce ammo with .001" runout or less. Very good stuff. It is what Sinclair recommends when you ask them too.

Most likely, if your reamer was made for Lapua or Norma brass, then you can just run them into a neck sizer or over a neck turning mandrel just to make sure they have consistent neck tension. Running them over the mandrel is very easy, and you will have to do it anyway if your gun is a tight neck. You shouldn't have to FL size them at first unless the reamer was made for .284 Winchester brass.

Good shooting!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

oops! ihave rcbs dies with expander ball.will the redding dies work in a rockchucker press?, or should i stat looking for a better rig for loading.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

No problem using Redding dies in your Rockchucker. Nearly all dies are threaded the same. Not all - just most. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

VH
Old 01-22-2005, 05:57 PM

Thanks a million guys

Time to start ordering dies

Joe