Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need advice on dropping powder into large (magnum) cases, on a press.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Need advice on dropping powder into large (magnum) cases, on a press.

I'm having trouble finding what I need to make a powder measure work on a press, for charging RUM cartridges. What I can't seem to find, is a charging die (along with internal drop tubes) that will handle anything larger than .308 cases (.520"). This is my first foray into loading such large cases, and this is a problem that I was not expecting to have. I'm thinking that it shouldn't matter what brand of powder measure is used, as they should all be compatible, right? The problem seems to be with fitting the powder measure to the press. It obviously requires a die which RUM cases will fit into. But for some reason unknown to me, I seem to be coming up dry on that sort of die. Can anybody point me in the right direction, on where to find what I need?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need advice on dropping powder into large (magnum) cases, on a press.

Dillon makes an adapter for 7/8x14 threaded measures and they make RUM sized powder dies also.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Dillon, huh? I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I'm having trouble finding what I need to make a powder measure work on a press, for charging RUM cartridges. What I can't seem to find, is a charging die (along with internal drop tubes) that will handle anything larger than .308 cases (.520"). This is my first foray into loading such large cases, and this is a problem that I was not expecting to have. I'm thinking that it shouldn't matter what brand of powder measure is used, as they should all be compatible, right? The problem seems to be with fitting the powder measure to the press. It obviously requires a die which RUM cases will fit into. But for some reason unknown to me, I seem to be coming up dry on that sort of die. Can anybody point me in the right direction, on where to find what I need?

When I first started loading this was the way I went,

At some point I discovered that mounting the/a powder measure on the press caused charge
weight to vary because of the action of the press while loading.

Also the other problem was that I could not see the powder go into the case and sometimes
when removing the case I would disturb the clog and dump powder all over the press and
loading bench.

So I decided to seperate the powder measure and the press to resolve this problem.

What I found was that all powder measures were not created equal. Another case of you
get what you pay for. I tried all of the less expensive powder measures and they worked
fairly well as long as you were consistant with your process. (Tap the knocker on the side
of the measure the same way and number of times every time ETC).

I finally found a straight forward powder measure that was consistant without tricks.
and was happy with it.

Some big cases required a double drop to reach the weight and then I found the best
powder measure I have ever used that solved all of the shortcomings of the others.

It is called a Harrell's It is the Premium model and will drop 120 grains of powder
at a time. It has Clicks for adjustments(200) and each click is close to 1 grain.

It also has a clear drop tube that allows you to see the powder as it goes in the case
that is about 3" long.

It is also mounted in Ball bearings and is the smoothest I have ever used.

He is a great guy to do business with and will make you any size and length of drop tube
you want.

I do not own any stock or get a commission I just believe that when a great product comes
along it should be shared with all.

I know this did not answer your Question but I thought I would share my Experiences with
you and maybe save you some time and money, and help to prodeuce better loads.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Gold Member

I'll have to agree with J E Custom 100%.

Usually the measure is just screwed into one of the stations on the press, most are threaded for 7/8"-14 threads.

I, too, found that separating the powder measure and mounting it solidly on a stand to the bench gave me the most consistent charging, but I also use the 'swirl charge' method of pouring the powder charge. I dump from the measure into my scales poring pan, and then 'swirl' the charge into the case via a correctly sized funnel.
This above method gives me the room to use charges of RE25 that would normally spill out when dumped 'as is' from the measure.

The Harrel is quite expensive, I have one, but have found that my Redding 3BR is just as consistent and will meter most powders to +/- .1gr with the right technique.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

On an additional Note;

I also found that using the press to seat primers was not the best way ether (No feel)
for how tight the primer pocket was, so a bought a priming tool to perform that
task also.

Now I only use the press for decapping and sizing/loading. The press has so much mechanical
advantage it is hard to feel operations that require little if any force and sometimes finesse.

Also as I mentioned the Harrell's powder measure is expensive (Around $250.00) but I like the
clear drop tube because I can see powder flow from the measure to the case.

The Redding is a good measure and the Ohaus is also one of the better onesThat I have used.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumManiac View Post
Usually the measure is just screwed into one of the stations on the press, most are threaded for 7/8"-14 threads.

I have a Lee PPM on the way. I know it's not exactly top-of-the-line, but aside from a few die sets, mostly all of my reloading stuff is Lee. Plus, I also have a powder checking die on the way, so that will help ease my worries regarding too low/too high powder charges.

I don't have the PM in my hands yet to be able to completely check it out, but the concern that I had/have from looking at pictures of powder measures is this:

When at the top of the stroke, the RUM case protrudes up though the threaded hole, to about 1.35" past the top of the press. If a PM is threaded into the station's hole down to say, 1/2 the depth that the sizing die goes, the .54" diameter case will need to protrude 2.75" up into the PM. If the PM can handle a case of that diameter going that far up into it, then I obviously don't need to worry about using a powder "die".

At this point, all I need is for someone to confirm that it will work. It's not easy to tell, just from looking at pictures of powder measures. That's why I was questioning it, thinking that maybe I was going to need some sort of additional die. If not, then it looks like I'm all set. Thanks!