Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need .223 reloading advice ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Need .223 reloading advice ?

I got the redding .223 die set on its way so what else do I need ? Is there some sort of crimping tool that I need to order ? I need to know what different steps that I should do ? I have been reloading for bolt action rifles for the last couple of years . I need some help .

Thanks for looking .
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Need .223 reloading advice ?

As long as it is a bolt gun, loading bottle neck ammo is almost all the same. Auto loaders may be a bit finicky and the brass life is severely limited.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Gold Member

Loading for what type of action ?
What type of Redding dies there is quite a few ?
Because you mention crimping it leads me to think you are loading for an Auto maybe.
So more info. would assist .
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
Loading for what type of action ?
What type of Redding dies there is quite a few ?
Because you mention crimping it leads me to think you are loading for an Auto maybe.
So more info. would assist .
Sorry about the lack of Information. I will be loading for mainly AR's . Automatic
Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Full length size EVERY CASE. Don't try to to load those MAX bolt action loads or you will beat your AR to death. I personally use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on all loads. The bullet does not need a crimp groove to use this die. Contrary to belief it does not destroy the accuracy of match bullets. Pay attention to the twist of your bore as to which bullets you can shoot. If it has a 9" twist like many do the 77 gr Hornady is about the heaviest bullet you can stabilize. Don't use FEDERAL primers. The ARs have a floating firing pin and can slam fire. Federal is the only primers I have had this problem with. Their cup is thin and sensitive.

Get all the magazines you ever think you will need NOW before the knee jerk reaction governmental bull hits the fan.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
Full length size EVERY CASE. Don't try to to load those MAX bolt action loads or you will beat your AR to death. I personally use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on all loads. The bullet does not need a crimp groove to use this die. Contrary to belief it does not destroy the accuracy of match bullets. Pay attention to the twist of your bore as to which bullets you can shoot. If it has a 9" twist like many do the 77 gr Hornady is about the heaviest bullet you can stabilize. Don't use FEDERAL primers. The ARs have a floating firing pin and can slam fire. Federal is the only primers I have had this problem with. Their cup is thin and sensitive.

Get all the magazines you ever think you will need NOW before the knee jerk reaction governmental bull hits the fan.
+1

I don't use the lee die, but it can be useful at times. I roll crimp my fmj's but let neck tension hold the 75 grainers in place; you may have to use a lee crimp die in some rifles if they feed more roughly than mine. I fl size all rounds for my ar, use cci mil spec or small rifle mag primers only, and clean/trim a few hundred at a time after I mill the crimp out with a de-burring tool chucked into my drill. I use either 4895 or tac and either 55 grain fmj pills or 75 grain hpbt pills depending on what I want to do with it.
What chamber do you have??? If it says 5.56 nato, confirm that it is as some brands are stamped nato and are really 223. You could run into pressure issues using nato loads in a shorter throated 223 chamber. My dpms is a nato chambered 9" twist, so I'm pretty much home free until I pass 77 grain pills.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

RCBS makes a small base die set that is made to feed thru autos easier. I have never used one, but have also seen others use them. Most AR's have fairly loose chambers anyway, so I wouldn't worry much about it. The crimp deal is something I've never done with the two AR's I own.
gary