Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Need 22-284 Help Before I Find Out If This Gun Will Float

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need 22-284 Help Before I Find Out If This Gun Will Float

Are your shots walking vertically or are they just random in that pattern? Next target number them and shoot at least 10 rds to see if a pattern develops
Old 03-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quick Update:
I haven't given up YET!
Reed, you were right. Bullets are coming apart if I load over 48.0 gr. R22 (Non-Moly coated) - velocity unknown. I'm not able to chronograh anything late in the evening when winds are calm. Pic is at higher load.
I'm not sure if the 1:8 twist will stabalize anthing over 80 ????
Goodgrouper, you were right about the primer pockets.
They got loose after 6 reloads - virgin Lapua Brass.

I'm not giving up until I wear it out.
Talked to Dan Lilja and he thinks that I should drop down to the 69 gr. Sierra.
I got the 80 gr. (they look good) Wildcat Bullets from Richard Graves this morning and have some loaded at 49.5, 50.0 and 50.5 Reloader 22.
Will shoot them this evening if the wind (it never blows in Oklahoma) dies down before the sun goes down.
I want to moly coat them but I don't think that I will be giving them a fair chance if I do.
Pics of targets from last two evenings.

Oh, and Aussie, good read but it makes my head hurt when I read stuff like that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will post results on the Wildcat Bullets just in case anyone else wants to shoot this round.

Note: The second pic has one bullet that made it to the target and one bullet that came apart, made two holes and it was shot at 20 yards - others would not reach 100 yard target.

Larry
Old 03-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Goodgrouper, you were right about the primer pockets.
They got loose after 6 reloads - virgin Lapua Brass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and if you are loosening pockets on rock hard Lapua brass, you know there is <font color="red"> WAY </font> too much pressure!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

I have blown up quite a few bullets in fast twist .224's. It seemed like that was part of your problem. IT seems that when the barrel is cool the first 2or 3 shots will shoot good and go where you want them too, and after that they go and do what ever they want. I blew up a few hundred nosler J4 80 grain bullets prarie dog hunting. I was fireforming them in a 22-250 ACK. The velcioty was only around 3150. I am having problems in my 8 twist 22-243 imp with the 80 sierra's. They shoot ok, but not good. They are starting to fowl my barrel around 3600. And they don't shoot around 3500.. I am waiting for the wildcat bullets in 85 and 90 grain to test. I also heard from fred at sharp shooter suppply that the 90 gr sierra was stablizing in some 8 twist barrels. I would try the wildcat bullets up to 90 gr and try the new 90 sierra. You might have enough speed to shoot the sierra. I think this gun will shoot, you just need the bullet to do it. Fast twist 224 are great but we are just waiting for bullet technology to catch up.. Hopefully richards bullets pan out. IF not I hope nosler would come out with some accubond 80 and 90 grrain .224 bullets.. I almost forget you have one more bullet option the swift scricco. It is 75 grains and is a bonded ballistic tip. IF you can blow up a bonded bullet you will be my hero. Good shooting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2005, 03:53 AM
Silver Member

Gator, I agree with Reed, that the 75 Amax bullet could be a major part of your problems, and the post by 308 Nate gave you an excellent list of other things to check.

In 1972, I built up a 22/284 on a Sako L579 Action, and Ackley 33 inch CM barrel. The case neck was shortened .020 on my gunsmiths suggestion, and fireformed cases had a case capacity of about 63.5 grains, which is almost identical capacity to the .224 Clark (cap. 63.8) which I built up in 1988.

The initial groups in my 22/284 were good, but then I encountered problems with erratic pressures and lack of accuracy, that I never resolved prior to the rifle being stolen some 10 years later.

The one of the two major problems was excessive barrel fouling from the bullets that were coming apart in the barrel and in flight. This was evidenced by comet tails on the target, and in some extreme cases by keyholes, and the copper streaks on the lands at the muzzle. From the evidence submitted by you, I think that could also be one contributing cause to your inaccuracy.

Switching to the 80 grain Sierra HPBT may assist. Many other users of the 22/284, 22/6mm AI, 224 Clark, etc have reported that it is the only bullet in that weight range that they found would hold together at velocities of 3,600 fps or more. I believe that Richard Graves Wildcat 80 grain ULD bullets will also hold together, as in my discussions with him, he is well aware of the problem, and has designed his bullets to overcome this. (I also have his 80 and 85 ULD's in transit to me at the moment).

Powders such Reloader 25, H1000, Vihtavouri N170, Ramshot Magnum, which are all similar in burning rate, should give about 95 - 100% loading density a maximum pressure with the 80 grain bullet, and in my opinion these powders are better suited than slightly faster burning Reloader 22. Depending on your case capacity, you may just fit enougth Hodgdon Retumbo in to make it competitive.

I am not sure how you have throated the barrel, but I believe that you will find (like I), that the Rem 700 Short action with its magazine length of 2.800 inches, will prove too short to allow the proper feeding of cases from the magazine, if you chase the lands as throat erosion occurs.
Luckily in my .224 Clark, the 69 grain Sierra would still shoot acceptably with about .150 inches of jump to the lands, but this is less likely to happen with the much longer VLD style bullets. My next 224 Clark will be based on the Rem 700 Long Action to overcome this problem.

The other major problem that I experienced in my 22/284 was that the case necks would not expand reliably, despite being regularly annealed, and caused pressures to spike unpredictably. However, I have not heard others experience this problem with the 22/284, so I believe it was related to those 2 batches of 100 cases (each) that I used. I certainly did not experience similar problems with the .224 Clark, or other cases.

My personal experiences with the 22/284 and .224 Clark were like chalk and cheese. However, I still believe that the
22/284 properly set up should work well, providing you use bullets that hold together, and with powders of the correct burning rate for those bullets. Good luck, Brian.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 AM

Lost river ballistic technology makes a 78 grain solid hunting bullet
that is incredibly accurate out to 1000 yards. It is instant death on
mule deer out of the 22-284. With the speed you are getting out of your rifle
it should stabilize, my buddy has a 22-284 with a 30" 1-7 twist and gets fantastic results, so much so that i am about to have one built This bullet is the answer to your problems try it!!!