Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck-Turning - What order to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck-Turning - What order to do?

rj - I just finished skim turning 120 .223 Lapua brass for a factory Savage chamber. I took off .0002" each side. Not quite half a thou difference will mean little in a factory chamber. By skimming these necks, I expect to have very consistent neck tension and improved ES and SD.
That is a big advantage.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
rj - I just finished skim turning 120 .223 Lapua brass for a factory Savage chamber. I took off .0002" each side. Not quite half a thou difference will mean little in a factory chamber. By skimming these necks, I expect to have very consistent neck tension and improved ES and SD.
That is a big advantage.
X2 on there being an advantage. I clean a no-turn chamber's brass to about 60% for consistency. The more consistence in our reloading techniques the more accurate we can become. Concentricity is key.

Reuben
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Bronze Member

i think it would be a good time for somebody to start a threat on how well there groups are before this and just how much better there group sizes are after this
skim coat neck turning .

i think it will turn out a lot like how much flatter boattail bullets fly and how well the really buck the wind
Old 01-19-2014, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

There is great balance, and bad balance, and a chasm between them.
Single things aren't usually enough to put you at either extreme of the scale
Old 01-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
There is great balance, and bad balance, and a chasm between them.
Single things aren't usually enough to put you at either extreme of the scale
Well said.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmarine View Post
i think it would be a good time for somebody to start a threat on how well there groups are before this and just how much better there group sizes are after this
skim coat neck turning .

i think it will turn out a lot like how much flatter boattail bullets fly and how well the really buck the wind
I just skim turned three hundred win cases for a factory 308 chamber. I cant make claims as to an increase in accuracy but i did notice more consistent grouping and my small groups are smaller.

Now my "feel" at the press during sizing and seating is a great deal more consistent!
If i would of started out with brass like this for load development i cant help but think it might of shown better results. I also neck turned 300 lapua cases and although the necks were far more concentric than the win brass i did see a bunch of bad apples get cleaned up.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmarine View Post
... but if you have a factory chamber say in 308 you could use 358 brass . when you size the 358 brass down to your 308 you end up with a thicker neck and then you could size this neck to be say .001 - .0015 smaller then the chamber neck.
i hope this helps lol
I've done this with my 7mm RM, shooting in factory Tikka T3 rifles. My brass is head stamped 338 Win Mag. Necked it down and then outside neck turned to clean up about 90% of the case necks. It did help remove some excess clearance between the chamber neck and the outside of the case neck, because the case necks are now a little thicker. Don't gain as much neck thickness as you'd imagine. Seem to recall that neck thickness increased enough that I use a 1 or 2 thou larger diameter neck bushing with the Redding Neck Bushing resizing die.

Dunno if it was a good idea or not. Seems like I've read where some don't think this is a good idea, but it seems to have gone will for me. I annealed the case necks after sizing down. I can say that the seated bullets in these cases are very concentric. Using K&M neck turning tool and mandrels.