Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck-Turning - What order to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Neck-Turning - What order to do?

I intend to neck turn all my rifle's cases. My question is - do I first fire-form the cases, then necksize and then neck turn the cases, then neck-size again? Would it give different results if I necksize first and then fire-form and then necksize again?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck-Turning - What order to do?

To do it properly on fired brass: first, you need to reduce the neck size by sizing. Then open the necks up with an expander. Virgin cases need to be opened with the expander first.

Expand necks to all be the same diameter before you begin turning.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

I turn new necks, up onto shoulders, to head-off donuts.
If you fireform first, you've missed this donut addressing, and you might struggle to get full length of necks sized and expanded for good turning mandrel fit.

New brass is ready for expansion and perfect fit, right out of the box.
Now if you're forming a new cartridge, things need to be planned out & may change.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

I have both reloaded cases and new cases and appreciate your distinction in the process. I am using the Foster Neck Turning tool and a Sinclair expander die. My main purpose is to uniform neck as to help me getting accurate groups. I belief by using the expander it would pop the high points on the neck of the brass to the outside and thereby making it easier to cut the high spots.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

I've expanded before turning new brass for yrs, Most guys now are blowing the cases out first using pistol powder and cream of wheat to cap the powder, Supposedly it keeps the necks straighter. This is for Benchrest where .001" makes a difference. No one would ever consider using used brass especially if from another rifle. Be careful how much you take off or you will be needing a bushing die. If you start with good brass like Lapau or Norma, neck turning isn't needed in my opinion for hunting.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

If skim turning, mandrel fit becomes even more critical than full turn. If loose, the cutter will pull in the brass and cut more than you want. If tight, things will heat up and change.

Won't hurt anymore than loss of a few pieces to trial & error. Good luck in it.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

why are you neck turning all your brass in the 1st place ?
if you do not have a custom chamber with a tighter neck area then by turning your necks with a stock factory chamber all you are doing is making your brass even looser in the neck area. this is not a good idea at all. you would turn your neckes to clean them up and end up with all nice even necks but you need a nice chamber for them to fit into now that you have made them thinner
this is true for say 308 brass neck turbing for a 308 chamber. but if you have a factory chamber say in 308 you could use 358 brass . when you size the 358 brass down to your 308 you end up with a thicker neck and then you could size this neck to be say .001 - .0015 smaller then the chamber neck.
i hope this helps lol