Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck turning vs neck reaming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: Neck turning vs neck reaming

Thanks Kevin, As I mentioned earlier, as I bring my game up to par I've had to learn a few new proceedures; one being neck prep. I posted the question because of what I found when sorting through some new brass and discovered something completely unexpected. Recently, I was given a large quantity of reloading tools, and components including a lot of new, in the box brass. Right now I'm working with some .223.

While sorting it looking for cases that are naturally concentric before doing any work to them, I expected to find most to be within .013" to .014" wall thickness and many were just that. however, the range was wider than anticipated; some as wide as from .011 to .015" Out of 350 cases, only 14 were less than .001" out of being concentric. I did set these aside for now.

What I'm trying to figure out is, by turning the necks to a uniform measurement, discarding anything less than that #, will the neck sizing process straighten the cases out? or will the body die do this job? Or do I have a pile of marginal brass that can't be fixed? I would like to load some first rate cartridges on the first loading. I don't want to have to load and shoot to fireform the brass. To me this would be a huge waste of components plus too much wear and tear on the barrel.

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."