Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Neck turning tool & Advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 PM

Neck turning tool & Advice please

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you use for neck turning and where I can order one. I am looking for something that is accurate, affordable and available.

Never neck turned before and I don't know much about it but it looks like I will have to turn 308 win cases down to .012 per side to get them all the same. The reamer I am looking at will have a .343 neck. This gives me lots of clearance at .0055 per side. ( 0.12 x 2= 0.024 added to a .308 bullet equals .332 loaded diameter)

Does this sound "right" to any of you?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Neck turning tool & Advice please

What you want to do is fine.

Many folks use standard SAAMI chambers with .344 to .345 inch chamber necks and shoot thin walled match cases with .012 inch or less neck wall thickness. Their test groups are often better than benchrest records with super tight necked chambers.

Note that for rimless bottleneck cases, the bullet and case neck are aligned to the bore by the case shoulder mating with the chamber shoulder very hard when the firing pin strikes the primer. It doesn't matter how much neck clearance there is. As long as the case neck's axis is aligned with the case body axis, the bullet will be very well aligned with the bore when the round fires. If the case neck's a bit misaligned with the case, the bullet's going to be misaligned with the bore when its fired.

Same thing happens with either full length or neck only sized cases; they both fit the chamber virtually the same when fired. Full length sized ones are often times more centered at their shoulders when chambered than neck only sized ones.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Bart, you're makin it sound like anything will work just fine.
But it just isn't so easy..

(343-308)/2 = 17.5thou thickness
I highly doubt 308 brass is even running that thick, so turning here would be only to eliminate variance
(not for clearance).
Also, you do not want to over-size necks. Anything from .0005(fitted) to .003"(total) is plenty of clearance, and keeps sizing requirements rational.

Crank, go Sinclair for turning equipment. It's the best 'system' IMO, including cutters, sizing mandrels, and neck mic, -from one very good source.
This is what you need:
Micrometers - Sinclair Digital Case Neck Micrometer
Neck Turning Tools - Sinclair Premium Neck Turning Kit
Case Prep Units - Sinclair Power Center
Case Prep Units - Sinclair Case Drive and Holder Combo
And go ahead & throw this in the order:
Concentricity Gauges - Sinclair Concentricity Gage with dial indicator
And these:
Bullet Comparators - Sinclair Bullet Comparator #1
Calipers - Large Display Digital Caliper
Well that should get you started. I know of no other source with such a complete system.

As far as all other clearances, the same holds as with necks. You don't want to be oversizing ANYHING. In contrast, there is nothing wrong with tight clearances.

To throw in an extreme example, my 6.5wssm has -no more than- .0005" clearance anywhere, right from the git go. So my brass with over 20 reloads still measures exactly the same as first fireformed to. I did not even touch the brass with a die until it's 8th reload!
NO PROBLEMS
And that doesn't happen by chance

Well, your pickin your reamer. So make it just as you wish it to be.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Mikecr, I've full length sized .308 cases in a standard RCBS die with its neck lapped out to a couple thousandths smaller than loaded round's neck diameter. Got 50 or more reloads per case from SAAMI chambered match rifles and never annealed a case neck. Ammo's shot 1/2 MOA or better at 600 and 800 yards. All with case necks unturned having a wall thickness spread of a thousandth measuring .336 loaded round neck diameter in chamber necks at .345 inch.

Others have done the same thing and as I have and we've shot 20-shot test groups at 600 and 800 yards smaller than benchrest records. Sierra Bullets' been doing this since the 1950's and their 30 caliber match bullets' 10-shot test groups would go into the ones at a hundred yards.

It ain't hard to do if you know all that's needed then you don't need to waste time or money with anything more.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 PM

So the Sinclair neck tuner is good? I like the looks of that run out gauge with the bearings and dial indicator, I think I will get one of those too.

My turning will just be to even out my neck thicknesses for uniformity. As it is I have 600-700 once fired Win brass that has varying thicknesses. I simply have run it through a FL die, trimmed, will neck turn and check case capacities. Then size again in a Lee collet die and shoot.

This is my first rifle build on the lathe and am keeping things low tec for now. I would like good quality case prep tools however.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Crank, capacity is the final factor in culling brass. But this check is best performed on unsized -straight from the chamber- fully fireformed brass. This, because it's the only time the brass is actually the same size (externally).
Otherwise, (after FL sizing) your not qualifying the brass on it's own virtue. You're mixing in factors like annealing, and case lube consistancy, that can lead to capacity variance which is not a brass issue.
And don't qualify with brass weighing, as this may not correlate to capacity(unless it's leaves the pack in an extreme).

I've had several 'concentricity' gages for comparison, and there are a few things I've learned from that. For one, runout and concentricity are different animals. The Sinclair I linked is actually a runout fixture, and your ammo is not straight until measured so on it. It is not a concentricity gage, and that's fine.
Get your ammo straight first, and it will be concentric as well.

Sinclair's mandrel system is very useful on the bench for more than turning. I use it for necking up while forming wildcat cartridges, and I run every neck over an expander just prior to bullet seating. This pushes any thickness variance outward, allowing straighter seating, and lower TIR off the ogives.

The neck mic is a must for culling brass. If you ever hope to keep straight ammo, you need to cull out thickness variance as measured on the necks(it runs full length of the case). Otherwise, sizing brings out the devil in your brass. Thick areas springback more than thin areas, and you end up with a batch of bananas that only get worse with each sizing. This is not straight ammo(even if made concentric).

The neck turner works fine. Nothing fancy. Just slip a feeler between the mandrel and cutter. Trial & error a few culled brass, till it's perfect. There are different angle cutters available from Sinclair for different shoulder angles(you turn up onto the shoulder a bit). I have never turned brass by hand turning cases. Always used a case lathe. It's enough pain even at that.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

I disagree with the statement: "And don't qualify with brass weighing, as this may not correlate to capacity(unless it's leaves the pack in an extreme)." Case weight always correlates to "capacity" at peak pressure when the case is pressed hard against the chamber walls and bolt face.

Cartridge brass is typically the same metals in the same proportions. Some's thicker walled than others. And there's a difference in hardness. But the mass is virtually equal across all of them; about 2163 grains per cubic inch. The volumn of the brass itself is subtracted from the volumn of the chamber and what's left is the volumn of the powder burning space behind the chamber's mouth which means the working capacity of the chamber won't ever change unless the weight (volumn, mass) of the case does.

So weigh your brass then sort 'em into a 1% spread of their average weight. That's close enough to shoot as accurate as the rest of the stuff is to put the bullet where you want it.